2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

I have posted in my 6 month journey that I have had a lot of acid reflux issues and I blamed gleevec . I have gone to a gi doctor and they were no help I am suppose to be scoped soon . So I called my Onc and let him know I need relief without having to take 80 mg of ppi . He told me to stop the potassuim pills they prescribed and after a two weeks my acid reflux went from 10 to about a 3 or 4 tops . The interesting thing is they didn't tell me to try to consume more potassuim but I have I drink 8 oz o carrot juice daily and I also drink one to two coconut waters specially when I have a hard work out . I add other high potassuim foods such as bananas , avocados and milk . My first CBC after quiting the potassuim pills showed my potassuim levels 4.4 . The best cbc I had with the 4 potassuim pills was 3.8 .., coconut water works wonders and it's pretty affordable at Costco ! Just wanted to share incase anyone is dealing with the same

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Gleevec has never caused acid reflux for me personally.  I doubt it has much impact.  Maybe Tasigna on an empty stomach, but I don't know. 

For some, acid reflux is simply a matter of physiology.  But some ways to reduce acid reflux are:

1) Eat earlier dinners, about 3 - 4 hours before bed time.  Late dinners cause acid reflux when laying down to sleep.  It is a gravity issue.

2) Drink less fluid with meals and snacks.  High fluid intake should be done apart from meals and snacks.  Fluids with meals decrease digestive enzyme actions and decreases digestion itself.  It is a dilution issue.

3) Eat smaller portion meals

4) Avoid strenuous activity for an hour after meals.

5) Eat fewer processed foods

Edited by Trey, 19 March 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#3 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Trey I been doing the pillow prop up I don't think k the Gleevec alone was causing the acid reflux but taking the four potassuim pills daily did a good number on me and I think it will take some time to heal . I need not no the gym after eating too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users