9 replies to this topic

#1 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

I have a great hem/onc who brought me back from a very dark place and has taken very good care of me. However, I'm trying to decide whether to switch because of his staff. His nurse and his practitioner are both scatter brained and have dropped the ball more than once. I ask very little of them, and know I should be more demanding, but they have even acted annoyed if I question them on anything. I've had to return to have more blood drawn when she didn't draw enough (it's been the routine for 4 years so you'd think she'd know). I don't expect her to remember my specific situation but I'm pretty sure it's in the order. As I write this, I'm frustrated because she isn't returning my phone calls, and this isn't the first time. I've never seen a nurse so incompetent and disinterested. I could go on for days, but hope you get the gist. Should I consider it more important that the doc is so good, or change because of incompetent staff. What would you do?

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#2 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

Hi dede,

It's so important to trust your doctor why don't you tell him what's going on? The cancer center I go to has a few dingbats they have looked me in the eye and lied to me about a couple things they told me. I really like my Onc so I haven't said anything to him but if they really screw up I will tell him. In your case you should speak up as we all say (They are working for you) and then get an attitude of your own.                         good luck Billie

#3 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

Thank you, Billie. That's what I was thinking, too. It just gets so frustrating, sometimes. I really appreciate the support  :)

numerous side effects 

#4 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

I had a similar situation with my primary doctor - liked him a lot but was constantly annoyed by his staff.  Sent him an anonymous letter - envelope marked "Personal and Confidential".  Told him I liked him a lot but was really considering changing docs because of the staff issues.  I gave a few examples.  A year later the staffers were still there, behaving the same.  I moved on.  In my area I have about a million docs to choose from.  Doesn't make sense to suffer with incompetence (or rudeness, for that matter).  We deserve better - and WE are the ones paying THEM.

Mike

#5 badgermom

badgermom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hi Dede

We have had similar issues.   I think cancer centers need to be staffed with the most caring nurses available.  Our son had a major reaction to a chemo drug because the nurse did not give him the right pre-medications.  

Just know that as you change doctors you are going to need to communicate really well with the new doctor.  We have switched oncologist 3 times do to relocating to a different state and then our son going back to college.  I really wish we could have stayed with our initial doctor who got us through the induction hospital stay.  I feel like he is the only one that really got to know our son and when we have any concerns he knew that we our son must be very concerned because he never complains.  I don't think the other doctors ever got to know him.  Good luck to you in your treatments

#6 Yougotafriend

Yougotafriend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

My hospital sent out a survey and I filled it out and gave my nurse low marks.
Since then she seems to be more friendlier and responsive to me. Maybe there's an departmentt at your hospital that takes complaints. You never know it may help

#7 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

I am a nurse, and I really appreciate it when a patient or my drs let me know if I could improve. I also work in a management role and have had to help with patients who are upset at their care. I want to know about their difficulties since health care is very much about caring. I am rarely surprised if a pt tells me this specific nurse, dr, secretary did this bad thing. The troublesome employees are usually known to others they work with.

Please bring this up to the dr or better yet, to the practice manager. Labor laws require a lot of evidence of bad practices with subsequent remediation attempts. I can talk to the bad apples till I'm blue in the face, but it the patient, AKA customer, speaks up, it carries much more weight and requires investigation. It's hard for a pt to have to speak up, but is well worth the effort. Even the drs have to receive counsel and help if enough patients or other staff complain. Try this so you possibly don't have to give up a good doc.
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#8 Kittywatkins

Kittywatkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

Omg! Is this happening everywhere? Same with me! One nurse put me on the scale and she thought I was too heavy for the scale. I was already feeling really low that day trying to lower my dosage. I told her to be careful how she speaks to people and that the scale is converted to kilograms. She apologized but didn't know how to read it so she left me hanging thinking I weighed at over 200! Dr came in I was balling my eyes out and she re weighed me. But that was not the point. That was only one mistake out of several discrepancies. Ugh! I'm also a nurse and I thought I was just being a little too hard, but I realize most of her staff are overwhelmed. No excuses though.

#9 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

Thank you all for your input. I, too, have worked in health care, and I know only too well what it's like to be overworked and understaffed. It's been awhile so I guess I had forgotten that aspect. I think my most recent issue is being resolved so I'll just sit tight for awhile. I wouldn't wish these things on anyone, but it is a bit comforting to know you're not alone.

numerous side effects 

#10 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

Hi MaryB

Try one of the other doctors. The local GPs office I attend has around 6 doctors, I've put them in order of preference (in my head) of who I want to see. If it is simple and I can't see who i want, i will see one of the others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users