43 replies to this topic

#41 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

I heard back from the pulmonologist.  He went over my echo report and other test results with the cardiologist and cardio strongly feels that my SOB is not cardiac or PH related.  He said that even if I *do* have PH, it is very mild and not the cause of my symptoms.  He will do a heart cath if I want, but he does not think it will show anything different.

Lung doc wants me to try an asthma inhaler during attacks and see if that helps.  I've had asthma before related to worsened allergies when I worked in a "sick building" that has since been demolished and those attacks were nothing like what I'm experiencing now.  The asthma went away when we moved locations to another building.  But I'll try it and see if it helps.

My biggest worry is that this is the CML.  I had these same symptoms before diagnosis and it went away after I started Gleevec.  I have never achieved cytogenetic remission and I am 18 months post-diagnosis and it took me this long to get FISH down to 1.8%.  BCR-ABL at 18 months was 3.5%.  Onc is willing to go up to two years before switching meds unless there's a big jump before then.  But it scares me - I always thought you HAD to get the BCR-ABL under 1% within the first year for long-term survival.

#42 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

Snowbear,

Here are the most recent NCCN Patient Guidelines concerning CML. It should be helpful when you are discussing your treatment options with your oncologist.

https://www.nccn.org...s/files/cml.pdf

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#43 edenation

edenation

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:30 AM

Shortness of breath might be due to you not exercising regularly, I have been exercising by playing soccer, cycling and swimming and it helped regulate my breathing tremendously. Start small and slow, for example swimming, once your body is used to it, increase the intensity by a notch or two. Important thing to remember is to exercise regularly!

#44 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

I had the right heart cath. It was negative for pulmonary hypertension.  I am pretty sure now that the SOB is a side effect of the Gleevec.  Over the past several weeks, I've taken a bit of a break because of eye swelling and inflammation and then, a bad bout of bronchitis.  My breathing improved so much that when I returned to work after the bronchitis, I was able to climb six flights of stairs without issue.  I've been taking the Gleevec regularly again for about a week now and my breathing is getting worse again with much milder activity.    My oncologist has been considering switching me to Bosulif for some time now because of slow response and I really hope at my appointment next week that she will considering my last BCR-ABL went up 3%.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users