#1 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

Does drinking water flush out the bad cells, also does the medicine need water for it to work?

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Just after diagnosis for the first month or so it is important for flushing all the dead cells.  After that we should drink normal amounts. 

I believe drinking too much water is counter-productive.  Flushing the body may sound nice, but most of what is flushed out are good vitamins and minerals the body needs. Excess water also flushes the TKI drug out of the body faster, which is not helpful.  Also, too much water dilutes the digestive system so the acidity levels are lowered, and TKI drugs require acidity for best uptake.  Too much water can also increase diarrhea, and also indigestion (again due to diluting the digestive juices). 

Overall only a normal level of fluids is required, for us or anyone else.  Our fluid needs are no different after the first month or so.  We only have large amounts of dead cells initially, then our levels are the same as most other people, and maybe even lower if cell counts are low. 

I realize most people are taught to drink water constantly.  But it is bad advice.

#3 rcase13

rcase13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Trey this is also what I was told by my OnC. I was surprised I figured he would want me to drink several gallons a day but he just said to drink when your thirsty.

10/01/2014 100% Diagnosis (WBC 278k, Blasts 6%, Spleen extended 20cm)

01/02/2015 0.06% Tasigna 600mg
04/08/2015 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
07/01/2015 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
10/05/2015 0.02% Tasigna 600mg
01/04/2016 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
04/04/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
07/18/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
10/12/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
01/09/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
04/12/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
10/16/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
01/15/2018 PCRU Tasigna 600mg

Cancer Sucks!

#4 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

For years before my diagnosis, I would try to drink at least 3 liters of water a day and up to a gallon if I'm working out.   I've only been on Gleevec a little more than two weeks and still trying to figure out the best time of day to take it along with my other medications, but I'm lucky if I can drink 1-2 liters a day anymore!  It just makes me more nauseous and increases the diarrhea. 

#5 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

I have always consumed a lot of water believing it's good for me.  After 4 years on Sprycel I find that I "feel better" overall if I stay plenty hydrated, and on days that I don't different parts of my functioning seem to suffer.  I have my share of joint pain - some of which I blame on my medicine - and I do find that staying hydrated reduces the joint aches and pains.

A few links related to the global benefits of hydration:

http://www.webmd.com...nk-water?page=3

http://greatist.com/...-to-drink-water

http://www.top10home...ng-water.html/3

Cheers !

#6 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:57 AM

Hi Mike,

Long time no hear, it took me quite a while to get back online with this new software.If I remember correctly you are the one who came up with the expression explosive sharts a couple years ago. I wish I could bring that post up we had a lot of fun with that. It sure did help relieve a lot of stress. So now you are saying that if we drink a lot of water a broom will come along and just sweep those sharts away?  What happened to your robot, I still don't know how to put a picture up so now they made me a man,oh well if the name fits.

After you started that post Marnie sent me a box of monkey butt powder I couldn't believe it actually existed. After I got it I still couldn't figure out how she used that stuff in a tent. That stuff is slippery. Only our adventurous Marnie could figure that out.

Take care Billie                                                                                              How can I cover so many things in one paragraph? Even I can't understand what I posted, and it's not the wine typing.

#7 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

Thank you everyone, also thank you Trey... :)

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users