• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BJBrink53

BJBrink53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

I have been sick and have gone through 4 bone marrow biopsies in 6 months.  I finally got an answer.  I have Acute Myeloid Leukemia.  They are going to check my DNA and Genetics to see if I qualify for a clinical trial using doxorubician (Adriamycin) or clofarbine (Clolar).

I am curious if there is anyone else out there who has gone through this treatment. 

I am totally scare and in shock.  I was in the hospital back in the end of July, first part of August and they told me I was going to die.  I received 4 units of blood in that timeframe and since then have done really well until recently.  My Platelets took a nose dive to 45.

I am fortunate enough that I feel good right now so it should help me with the battle I am about to begin.

Betty in Barnesville MN

#2 mamawarrior

mamawarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

First of all, so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. My son was diagnosed with aml at age 18, when a senior in high school. He never had the clofarabine but i know others on the forum that have and instead of doxarubicin, my son had daunarubicin.

AML treatment is rough, really rough. The only suggestion i have is that you try to keep a journal of your blood work on a day to day basis and count it from day of chemotherapy. Usually day 10-14 range, 10-14 days from the first day of chemotherapy, your blood counts will be at their lowest (called nadir) and you may require blood and blood product replacement. You also may run fevers but every fever has to be evaluated for infection since chemo kills your wbc's. By keeping a journal i was able to see a trend with my son which became very helpful in future rounds.

If you have any questions feel free to ask but you may want to post this on the aml forum instead of the cml forum. There is a big difference between cml and aml treatment. Just copy and paste your post and i am sure you will get some responses.

http://community.lls...eloid-leukemia/

Wishing you the best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users