6 replies to this topic

#1 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hi - I recently started a drug called letrozole (changed from tamoxifen)  and am on dasatinib. I was so ill after the change of drug I halved the dose of letrozole and felt a bit better.  However I am having terrible pain in my upper stomach and back, and occasionally jaw. I often burp a lot too.  The general practitioner has given me Gaviscon but it isn't really helping. I think I may have some sort of stomach ulcer.  I am planning to phone my haematologist but wondered if there is any effective ppi or even antacid that I would be able to get.  The pain is really getting me down.

I've searched the forum but can't find anything closely related.

Thanks

Alex

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:32 AM

Alex,

So sorry to hear you are having such problems. Stomach pain was shown as one of the lesser common side effects of letrozole. The problem with dasatinib and PPIs is the concern of lowering the efficacy of the dasatinib because it works best in an acid envirinment. PPIs are contraindicated with dasatinib.

How did dasatinib interact with tamoxifen? Were you switched for an important reason? Is it possible if you don't adjust to the letrozole you could return to tamoxifen?

I was on Prilosec when I was switched to dasatinib from Gleevec due to liver toxicity and was told to stop taking it for two reasons, one, the reason mentioned above and two, it's hard on your liver. I compensated by sleeping on a wedge and using Tums if I needed them. I also stopped eating grains, including wheat, and whites - potatoes, rice, flour, added sugar, etc. That has made an amazing difference in my gastric comfort.

I hope you find a solution that works for you soon! Good luck.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Pat. I was on tamoxifen for 5 years. The switch to letrozole is standard treatment here as the tamoxifen is not as effective in post menopausal women. I am seriously considering giving up letrozole altogether as I have been unwell since starting it. The joys of cancer treatment! ! I think maybe being on 2 different cancer drugs hasn't helped. I have alerted my haematologist so will see what she says. Any solution that reduces the efficacy of the CML treatment isnt a solution at all of course! I should be positive though -when all is said and done I'm still here!
Alex
Xx

#4 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

If it is an ulcer or inflammation, Carafate should help.  Ask your doc about it.  

#5 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Snowbear. My haematologist basically said there's nothing! Helpful! I was doing ok till I had to start letrozole. I started taking half per day, and past couple of days has been better, so here's hoping xx

#6 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

Drinking water can help with gastric pain...one of the hematologists told me while taking Gleevec if you experience any stomach pain,, drink some water.   It has helped me.

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#7 August1

August1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

I've had some GI issues on both Gleevac and Sprycel. In the past I have seen a gastroenterologist who did an endoscopy to take a look and help manage the condition. On the last visit he diagnosed me with Gastritis (possibly related to Sprycel, diet, or both) which can typically be managed with antibiotics. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users