6 replies to this topic

#1 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

I just got word from my Hema/Onc's office that she is delaying starting me on Gleevec because of a drug contraindication with Cymbalta.  My PCP had started me on Cymbalta (60mg) for chronic pain due to RA, spinal issues (and possibly fibromyalgia although it may be the leukemia causing the leg and body aches instead) and it has been a life saver.  It doesn't take all the pain away, but it makes it much more tolerable and I can get through the days without painkillers or muscle relaxers.  I don't notice any side effects other than a little dry mouth, but I drink lots of water during the day.  I can't imagine going off especially since a side effect of TKI's is MORE pain, of which I don't need.

I've tried Elavil but the side effects were too severe - gastroparesis, severe nausea, high heart rate.

Are there other TKI's that would work with the Cymbalta or does anyone have any experience taking these two medications together?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

That is a very poor decision on her part.  The only drug interaction is increased blood levels of Cymbalta, which happens with many drugs, and the remedy is merely lowered dosage of Cymbalta if needed.  Your Hem/Onc is absolutely making the wrong decision. 

To check drug interactions with Cymbalta use this:

http://www.drugs.com...e,cymbalta.html

Type in "imatinib" which is Gleevec, then click "check for interactions"

#3 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

I haven't heard back from the Hema/Onc, but I got a notification from the mail order pharmacy that the hold on the Gleevec was released.   I know she was calling my rheumy and PCP to get their input, so it looks like everything will work out.  

#4 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

I take Gabapentin (Neurontin) to help with sleep, it also helps with pain.  I also take Ativan Wellbutrin and Vicodin...hope they aren't lowering Gleevec effectiveness...

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#5 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

The delay in starting TKI treatment just doesn't feel right to me (as a fellow patient).  Have you been able to get ahold of your first bottle of Gleevec?

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#6 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

It will be in today, but doc wants me to hold off the Gleevec until I get my heart and lungs checked out.  The CML was caught very early (my #'s are lower than what is typically seen in newly diagnosed patients) and she is sure that it is not the cause of my difficulty breathing and chest pain.  I'm only mildly anemic.  I also have rheumatic issues...although my rheumy can't figure out if it's RA or Lupus or a combination and the doc says either of those can cause heart/lung problems.  

So, I had a CT scan of my chest today and need to schedule an Echo & PFT asap.  Then I can start the Gleevec.

#7 IGotCML

IGotCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDallas / Fort Worth, TX

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Snowbear,

I was diagnosed in chronic phase 2 years ago and had to wait a month to start Tasigna because of insurance issues.  I was on Hydrea for a month and the delay on starting a TKI did not negatively impact my CML treatment which has been very positive so far. I think your MD is making a smart decision on a slight delay of Gleevec while you get better information on your other health issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users