• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cryjohn

cryjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

Today I have learned that the lab that my blood sample is sent to for PCR test holds onto samples until at least 10 samples from 10 patients  are available to run all at once!  I kept wondering why I was being made to wait so long when the test, that used to be sent out of state, is taking longer and longer for results.  Not only is this salt in the wound of an agonizing wait but my bigger concern is the validity of the results given the blood is a week old and frozen in the mean time while waiting to be tested.  Has anyone here had this situation to deal with or does anyone know how the validity of the test may be impacted by these "cost saving practices?'

Thanks in advance!!!

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

Most places won't run PCR test until they have enough for a batch.  It's an expensive test.  I had your same concerns when I looked at the collection and run dates and found them to be a week apart.  I called the lab and talked to the tech.  He assured me that they treat the samples appropriately so that the results are valid.  If you're not comfortable with it, I would recommend calling the lab.

Marnie

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

If they are frozen then that is OK.  The results should be accurate if frozen right away.  It is very unusual for a lab to accept frozen samples since the thawing is cumbersome. 

Otherwise, many small labs use this batching without freezing and this is very poor procedure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users