10 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

I read somewhere that glivec may have some interaction with garlic (i don't remember if was garlic in pills or for food uses). Is this real? What kind of interaction is this? is it an up serum or down serum effect? 

Thanks in advance!

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

Here are common interactions among certain drugs (including Gleevec) and herbals.  It shows NO interaction between garlic and Gleevec.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19719333

However, if you combine the two, sauteed in a pan with butter over medium heat you get Garleevec.  Or outside the USA it is called Garlivec.  Either way it is not worth eating.  Just sayin'

Edited by Trey, 10 September 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#3 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

LOL! Nice one, trey!! 

#4 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

There was a little bit about an intereaction here http://gistsupport.m...ative_Medicines

I remember one of the members here had an issue, but I think he really liked garlic and would eat cloves of it at a time.

#5 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

Here are common interactions among certain drugs (including Gleevec) and herbals.  It shows NO interaction between garlic and Gleevec.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19719333

However, if you combine the two, sauteed in a pan with butter over medium heat you get Garleevec.  Or outside the USA it is called Garlivec.  Either way it is not worth eating.  Just sayin'

It's actually pretty good if you leave out the Gleevec (Glivec).

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

There was a little bit about an intereaction here http://gistsupport.m...ative_Medicines

I remember one of the members here had an issue, but I think he really liked garlic and would eat cloves of it at a time.

Thanks, gerry, but i think this information is kind of ambiguous: "Some complementary and alternative medicines (CAMs) influence imatinib pharmacokinetics. St John's wort, garlic, kava-kava, ginseng and rapeseed extract decrease imatinib plasma levels by INDUCING CYP3A4"..."Summarized, CAMs that have already been shown to actively INHIBIT CYP enzymes are:garlic [23], constituents of Ginkgo biloba [23, 24], kava [23],ginseng [25], Echinacea purpurea [24], milk thistle (silybin)[26-28], and evening primrose oil (cis-linoleic acid)[23]". It seems like in one paper the found that garlic induces and in the other garlic inhibit the CYP. I read another paper where they said that garlic doesn't change the CYP levels. I thing the problem may be with garlic supplements, and not with have some garlic in food. 

Do you remember what issue did the member had?

Thanks in advance :)

#7 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:31 AM

Not exactly sure what you're looking for Lucas.

I use garlic in my cooking and went on to reach PCRU. I tended to avoid anything that had an interaction with the liver in the way of supplements, just to be sure.

I tried to do a search for the topic, but couldn't find it, so you're testing my memory now. I can't remember if they had to change drugs or not, but they did comment that the amount of garlic they ate could have had an impact. Forget I mentioned it. :)

I figure you're trying to make sure that you're doing everything right, but not sure if that is helping your stress levels. ;)

#8 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Hi, gerry! how are you?

Actually, it's more curiosity. I don't know what is happening with my mind but, nowadays, it seems like i don't have cml. I'm waiting for my tests results and i'm not really stressed - a little anxious and just that. I'm kind of new in cml - 8 months into this - and i'm trying to do everything right but i'm much more relaxed now. i'm trying to focus in what i can do and not in things i can't control.

Regards! 

#9 Sioux

Sioux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

I am new to CML...diagnosed in July.  I take Gleevec.  I am sick of being sick.  I can't wrap my head around a year on chemo before remission.  Is that the general consensus?  I eat garlic in almost everything.  I haven't read about counteractions.  I was told to stay away from grapefruit.  

#10 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi Lucas,

I'm doing well, 10 months off Gleevec now, just waiting on my latest blood test result. I used to get a bit stressed a couple of days before the blood draw, but was okay afterwards, apart from the time I didn't have my results before seeing my doc. Hated that. lol 

It's great that you're starting to feel a bit more relaxed about things.

#11 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hi Sioux,

Remission isn't a word usually used, reponse is the common word as in responding to the drug. Don't expect to be negative (PCRU or CMR) within a year, that's pretty rare. Plus you may need to be on a TKI for all time, or until they come up with a definite cure for everyone with CML,

What side effects are you experiencing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users