• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jbinsd

jbinsd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

Can't find a more delicate way to put it unfortunately, but I was wondering if anyone knows of studies about sex while on Sprycel.  The Sprycel website and most other sites typically say condoms are required at any time if you are a male taking Sprycel. My doctor, however, says that it really only matters if I'm trying to have a baby, which my wife and I are not.  Yet, I've also read that while on Sprycel, most bodily fluids must be handled with care due to some property of Sprycel that they don't explain.  I'm definitely inclined to go with the doctor, but the uncertainty is causing just enough doubt since my wife dealt with lymphoma 8 years ago.

What I'm really looking for is any research on it, because I can't seem to find any. The only studies out there are related to getting pregnant or pregnancies.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

Dasatinib can pass into body fluids (including urine, feces, vomit, semen, vaginal fluid). For at least 48 hours after you receive a dose, avoid allowing your body fluids to come into contact with your hands or other surfaces. Patients and caregivers should wear rubber gloves while cleaning up body fluids, handling contaminated trash or laundry or changing diapers. Wash hands before and after removing gloves. Wash soiled clothing and linens separately from other laundry.

I hadn't read this before. . .Since Sprycel is taken daily, I guess we should be wearing hazmat suits and rubber gloves all the time.  Does make me wonder why they have this warning. . .

Marnie

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

The issue is avoiding contact with the drug during pregnancy or while becoming pregnant (whether a patient, partner of a patient, or a pregnant health care worker).  In your example the issue is about health care workers who might be pregnant, and they are told to avoid contact.  It is NOT about some harmful properties of the drug for a woman who is not pregnant handling the drug, or touching fluids with the drug in them, or mixing bodily fluids, or even swallowing a pill.  Lawyers assume every woman is either currently pregnant or trying to become pregnant, so they require dire warnings which are quite absurd.  There is probably more drug passed in the saliva, so should we stop kissing?  Any warnings you may see, such as the one Marnie posted above, is simply to avoid having a pregnant woman assimilate the drug.  But even then the whole issue borders on the ridiculous since the dosage would be so tiny.  And the entire issue of a male fathering a child while taking TKI drugs is unproven regarding whether that could cause problems for the fetus, so lawyers require avoiding pregnancy for males taking TKI drugs.

For women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, there is data showing TKI drugs can potentially be harmful to the fetus (although there is also growing data showing it usually is not).  So TKI drugs should be avoided for pregnant women, women who might be pregnant but don't know it yet, and women trying to become pregnant.  That is the real issue in the manufacturer's warnings.

So in your situation with no pregnancy possible, there is no reason whatsoever to be concerned.  Your wife can handle the pills all she wants, and share all your fluids.  You can even sip out of the same glass if you wish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users