10 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

In 90% of the time i take my glivec after lunch at 1:15 pm but in rare occasions i delay the pill for 1 hour (or take one hour before). I was realizing: how many hours can we delay from one day to another and  still be  considered full adherent to therapy?  can we take the pills and have food right after?

Thanks in advance! 

#2 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

I cant imagine it making any real difference.  Im on Tasigna so our concerns are a little different, but I just do the best I can to stick to the 12 hour cycle and live my life... the stress of CML (and life in general) is bad enough, Im not gonna obsess about being exact with my regimen.  Of course, me screwing my timing up can lead to death-inducing PT prolongation (thus why we cant eat around the time take the pills) so its a bit different.

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#3 Luckey1403989245

Luckey1403989245

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Not a dumb question but I think you are ok with what you are doing except for wanting to eat after taking the medicine:

Self-care tips:

• Take this medication after a meal with a large glass of water to reduce upset stomach.  Take this medication at about the same time each day.
  • If you miss a dose of this medication, do not take the missed dose at all and do not double the next one.  Instead, go back to your regular dosing schedule and check with your health care provider.

http://chemocare.com...px#.VADsf_ldX_M

And please ask your doctor about this stuff if you aren't sure.  

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

A puzzle, by Trey.

Two CML patients start taking Gleevec on Jan 1st at precisely 1AM.  Yes, they were both drunk.  Patient #1 wakes up every night during the ensuing year and takes his Gleevec at precisely 1AM all year long, fearing lack of full adherence.  The other delays taking Gleevec by precisely 1 hour each day throughout the entire year, taking his dosage on the exact stroke of the hour, but one hour later each day.  Assume no leap year.  On which day during the year does Patient #2 not take his full Gleevec dose?

Anyone?  Anyone?  Mr Bueller?

Edited by Trey, 29 August 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#5 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Ahhh, errrrrrr - Dec 31? :)))

When I traveled to London a couple of years ago, I was obsessed about taking Gleevec at the same exact time with the time change, so instead of breakfast in the U.S., it was lunch in the UK. Now I am heading to eastern Europe for a work trip, so do I now take it with late afternoon tea? :)

In all seriousness, I have taken my dose anywhere between 5:30am and as late as Noon on some days and it has been fine...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#6 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

I do "morning".  Anywhere from 6 am to 9 am.  I try to hit the same time but life just has a habit of getting in the way, BUT I have only forgotten a dose maybe three times in several years.  I have been solidly in PCRU for over 2 years even when I had to stop taking for several weeks due to plural and pericardial effusions.

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#7 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

I kinda wish i had started on Gleevac just cause I feel like Ive missed my chance with the "starter drug" but I guess Tasigna might work till the next thing comes along.

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#8 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

I usually take Gleevec between 08 AM and 10 AM each day.

Some times i delay it to 11 AM, maybe once every month. No problems so far :)

#9 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

And I thought you Gleevec'ers had it made.  I take Tasigna and as soon as my feet hit the floor, I take the AM dose, then in one hour, I can eat breakfast on the way to work.  I get to work and since it has then been two hours from taking the Tasigna, I can take the H2 blocker.  Then, promptly at 5PM, I take the evening dose, travel 1-1.25 hours home and have dinner with my family.  Then, an hour after that, take the evening dose of the H2 blocker.  I feel like I count to one and to two over and over again.  Hopefully, the H2 blocker is going to be temporary.  Anyway, I do better on workdays.  My doses aren't exactly 12 hours apart though (6AM and 5PM).  Weekends are a different story, although I do take the medication, my times vary somewhat.

#10 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone! it was just a thought - maybe my paranoia to improve my treatment. Good puzzle, trey, but i'm too lazy to try to answer :P

#11 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Although Patient #2 will take 14 fewer doses during the year than Patient #1, Patient #2 never misses taking a dose during each day of the year.  That is because midnight technically belongs to both days before and after, which is why I was so specific about taking the dosage precisely on the hour. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users