Started having breathing problems and chest pain while we were on our road trip. Got a little paranoid about PAH, after hearing so much about it. When we got home I let it go for a week until the day we packed up the camper, loaded the kayaks and dirt bikes onto the trailer for another short trip. Then I decided that maybe I'd better see the doc since breathing at night was getting pretty bad. Felt pretty much like the last pleural effusion, so I was guessing that's what it was. Definitely a strange feeling to hope it was a p.e. because PAH was a worse alternative.
Went into the doc to check on 1) ruptured disk in back, which flared up again on the trip, 2) carpal tunnel which appeared on the trip, 3) spot on my face that is just an age spot (damn that 50th birthday) and 4) breathing. Crap. . .I am falling apart! Chest x-ray showed another pleural effusion.
Doc was not at all impressed that instead of going to the hospital to have it drained, I told her we were leaving on another trip as soon as I got home. Sometimes, my lack of sense even impresses ME.
Karma, however, will always have the last laugh. Spent some time in the mountains relaxing in the camper. In the rain. Kayaked in the rain. Rode motorcycles in the rain. Motorcycle brakes crapped out and were unfixable (needs to be rebuilt) so we loaded everything up and drove home.
The sun came out. Spent the morning today volunteering at the local beemer club's 100,000 foot ride, which is a pretty big event. . people from all over the country show up to ride 100,000 feet in elevation in a single day (tons of Texans up here, Trey. . even one dude from New Jersey!). Then ended up motorcycle shopping and will probably pick up a new bike on Tuesday. So things are looking up. Hopefully I can still breathe by Monday when I will call my doc, probably get another x-ray, and head in to have them stick a needle in my back and drain my lung again.
Am off Sprycel for awhile and need to think about my next discussion with my oncologist. I'm thinking that I'll suggest dropping to 40 mg Sprycel (50 mg worked for about 7 months before this p.e.). I just really do not want to switch to Tasigna. Will be off meds for 2 weeks before my PCR test, so that will be interesting. Then 2 more weeks before seeing my doc. I'm already getting concerned about being off Sprycel for that long.
Any thoughts out there? Anyone off meds that long and not have PCR rise? My last result had bumped up to detectible, which was a bummer. After a third pleural effusion, is staying on Sprycel a stupid idea?