4 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I mentioned some abdominal pain a while back, so I ended up having an endoscopy done on Thursday. Esophagus and duodenum are great, but I have some pretty severe erosive gastritis. The pic didn't look too nice.

The doc isn't sure if I've got it from H. Pylori or too much NSAID taken during wisdom teeth. I only had a couple Aleve per day, but I started getting the symptoms about a week after I started taking them.

Anyway, he said the good news is a couple months of Nexium should heal me up. I mentioned that I'm not supposed to really take that stuff so that Sprycel can be absorbed. So he called my onc while I was in the room with him and they think it'll be OK for two months, and I'm going in for a check-up with my onc in a month anyway.

I've been PCRU for a bit over two years now...so do you all think it'll be OK to do the 60 days of Nexium?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Most likely the NSAID.  Most are hard on the alimentary canal.  Need to take them with plenty of food, not just liquid, and better to space them out in smaller doses and more often.  The once per day thingy is convenient but may cause gastric issues.

#3 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Depending on the quality of your PCR labs ie how deep is your pcru, you qualify for the stopping treatment trails. So it should be safe for you to stop taking your sprycel all together, 2 months with possibly less than optimum absorption should be even more safe.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#4 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

I'll second the likely cause = Aleve/naproxen.  I recently tried a course of 2x/day (440mg) for a sports injury and after 3 days my stomach & gut started feeling kinda rough.  As soon as I stopped, it went away.  I was taking both pills in the morning with Gleevec and a heavy breakfast.  It could be the combination of NSAID with the daily TKI - it's just a lot for our stomach and gut to handle I guess.  That's a good suggestion to space out the doses.  I'm going to try that next time I need some Aleve.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#5 Guest_lisakay311_*

Guest_lisakay311_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

I agree, NSAIDS will really do a number on your stomach and it doesn't take long. I've actually been on Nexium for 15 years for eosinophyllic esophagitis. It does work wonders. My gastroenterologist tried everything on the market and nothing worked like Nexium did for me. I had a hiatal hernia and pretty severe damage to the esophagus and stomach lining. It was completely healed after 3 months of use, but I have to continue it because I still have the autoimmune disorder that causes the damage. One thing I will tell you though, the most effective way to take it is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, 30 to 45 minutes before eating, and then make sure and eat breakfast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users