Molecular oncology results(BCR-ABL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

Dear Trey,

It was frustrating trying to get this report, nobody would give it to me, but I finally received it, with the last page missing. I noticed the last page was missing, and I requested it, and the answer was that my chart has been sent back to Medical records, and now I have to wait one month for my next appointment with the hematologist, and to receive my missing copy.

Specimen date: 26/02/14  RECEIVED DATE: 28/02/14   Printed on: March 11/14  1001  Specimen: Peripheral blood

ADDENDUM #1  MOLECULAR ONCOLOGY RESULTS: BCR-ABL fusion gene transcripts were detected in this specimen by quantitive RT-PCR (Q-RT-PCR) at diagnostic levels.

INTERPRETATION: Using quantitive RT-PCR, the level of transcripts detected in this specimen was determined to be consistent with diagnostic levels. Follow up peripheral blood specimens will be tested to determine the patient's degree of response to treatment and MMR status on the International Scale. TEST SUMMARY AND REFERENCES: BCR-ABL gene fusion results from a reciprocal translocation between chromosomes 9 and 22, and is causally associated with CML. The fusion gene is transcribed into a chimeric BCR-ABL mRNA; in about 95% of patients, the fusion protein results from major BCR-ABL breakpoints involving exon b2 or b3 of BCR, and exon a2 of ABL (b3a2 and b2a2 rearrangements). Translation of both b2a2 and b3a2 transcripts yield a 210-KDa  fusion protein (p210).  This test methodology quantitates the amount of b2a2r b3a3 BCR-ABL expression relative to ABL expression. RNA is extracted, reverse-transcribed into cDNA, and analyzed using qRT-PCR (Ipsogen BCR-ABL Mbcr IS-MMR Kit, Ref FQPP-10 MMR). This kit has been validated in our laboratory and provides results equivalent to previously reported values. Three estimates are calculated including: % BCR-ABL/ABL-equivalent to the Normalized Copy Number (NCN); Log Reduction-reduction in transcript numbers relative to the laboratory determined median level from the cumulative database of diagnostic specimens expressed in log10 scale; IS-NCN-the % BCR-ABL converted to the International Scale as per manufacturer (Ipsogen).

Assessment of clinical significance requires correlation to the levels commonly seen in diagnostic specimens. Lack of major molecular response is defined as IS-NCN greater than or equal to 0.15, while major molecular response is defined as IS-NCN at or below 0.05. IS-NCN levels between 0.05 and 0.15 are defined as borderline major molecular response. This is to account for the technical variation associated with the kit specifications (Ipsogen), since the clinical definition of MMR is an IS-NCN of 0.1%.

The International Scale in routine practice is valid only below 10% due to control gene-dependent distortions at high disease levels.  The estimated transcript at levels below 0.0069 are reported as "detectable but below quantifiable range". If expression of BCR-ABL transcript is not detectable  in this assay the result is reported as "Below limit of detection". AMPLIFICATION: Multiplex PCR   MOLECULAR ONCOLOGY RESULTS: BCR-ABL fusion gene was detected by PCR. The amplification product is consistent with an mRNA transcript resulting from a b3a2 breakpoint.

INTERPRETATION: The BCR-ABL fusion gene producing a 210 KDA protein product was detected. This is most commonly associated with a diagnosis of CML.

TEST SUMMARY AND REFERENCES: BCR-ABL gene rearrangement with Philadelphia chromosome.

The Philadelphia (PH) chromosome is shown by banding techniques to result fro m the reciprocal translocation t (9;22) (q34;q11). This translocation interrupts from the normal BCR genes on chromosomes 22 and 9 respectively giving rise to a chimeric BCR-ABL gene encoding a fusion protein. The majority of CML patients have breakpoints, b2a2 or b3a2, that give rise to transcripts for a 210 KDA protein. Approximately 70% of the PH positive ALL patients have a smaller 190 KDA product formed by an e1a2 breakpoint. The remaining 30% have a product that is indistinguishable from the CML product. References: An optimized multiplex PCR for detection of BCR-ABL fusion mRNAs in haematological disorders.  N. cross, J. Melo, L.Feng, J.Goldman. Leukemia 1994, 8(1):186-189.

Trey, I do not see anything about FISH, and I know that the BMB/A was not done. Please tell me what tests do I need to have done, is it FISH and BMB? Do you think that they did all the testing that should have been done? Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. Thank you!

ACG

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

The page you have is mostly just a standard description of the PCR process and does not include your numerical results, only that it was positive.  The second page would have the actual result number as a percentage. 

A BMB should be done for a proper diagnosis.  But you have said you were diagnosed early, so if that is accurate the risk of not having the BMB is lower.  But it still should have been done. 

A FISH is a better test than a PCR early in the treatment until CCyR is reached.  That is because the FISH is more accurate at high leukemic levels.  But using a PCR is OK, too.

Overall you should see what the PCR number is.  Why don't you just call the Onc's office and ask them to tell you if they are making you wait a month for the printout?

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

Dear Trey, thank you for the response. I phoned the oncologist's office and requested the page that was missing, I went to pick it up this afternoon, and have added it to my report. Your advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

ACG

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

It still does not provide the numerical result, but only says the sample was positive.  That is what a "qualitative" PCR provides, only saying if the sample was positive or negative.  But the report says it was a "quantitative" PCR, so there should be a numerical result.  This report says it is an "addendum", so where is the main report?  Ask your Onc to provide the numerical result.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi Trey, thank you for the response. Asking questions will help me get the most appropriate care, and  I will have lots of questions on June 10th when I have my next appointment with the hematologist, and I will ask for the main report at that time. He is extremely quite!! In July 2014, I will have a new primary care doctor, he is my husband's doctor, he is the best! Thank you very much for the advice, it was very much appreciated. I am very grateful to all the people on this board for their encouragement and advice, thank you ALL!

ACG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users