4 replies to this topic

#1 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

I am convinced that taking TKIs has had an impact on the development of cataracts in my eyes.  An eye exam days before diagnosis showed no cataracts.  A year later, after a year on Gleevec, I had cataracts.  They have gotten so bad that I'm scheduled for cataract surgery next Monday (and the second eye a few weeks later).

Has anyone else noticed a serious deterioration of vision since starting TKIs?  I'm certain that I would have had cataract surgery at some point. . .my dad had his eyes done at about age 75.  But 50 seems a bit young to be under the surgeon's knife for cataracts.  Crap.

I'm assuming that I can continue on my Sprycel. . .my oncologist didn't seem concerned.  The pharmacists at the specialty pharmacy didn't know.  Anyone out there have any info on Sprycel and eye surgery?

Looking forward to being able to see again.  I can't read road signs, and what I thought was a person standing by a motorcycle turned out to be a park bench.  I need to get my eyes done before I drive off a hairpin curve by mistake. 

#2 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

I have the reverse situation right now.  A year before I was diagnosed with CML & went on Gleevec, I was diagnosed with cataracts.  Like you, my parents had the same issue, & I am also younger than they were when they reached a point that they had to have the surgery.  However, I don't think either condition is to blame for the other.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:53 AM

Hi, Marnie,

Bummer about the cataracts! I'm not sure what you mean about continuing on with Sprycel, are you talking indefinitely or just during the surgery? I'm not sure how switching would help at this point; the lense implants will be plastic or silicone so it's not like the Sprycel can cause more cataracts. Your vision should be better than ever. Good luck! One of my colleagues was just diagnosed with cataracts and he is about your age, they run in his family, too.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

Hey, Pat. . .

I'm just wondering about stopping for surgery.  I believe that with Gleevec it's recommended to stop, but I haven't heard anything about Sprycel.

I know lots of folks are interested in stopping TKI, but I"m not on that bandwagon yet.  Maybe some day, but I've not been PCRU long enough to be comfortable with stopping.  Bloodwork yesterday, and I'm very interested to see if this second test after going down to 50 mg is still undetectable.

m

#5 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hi, Marnie,

No, I thought you might have meant switching from Sprycel because of the cataracts. I was told that people may be told not to take Gleevec because of the food restrictions before and after many surgeries. Gleevec is best taken with food to avoid stomach upset. Sprycel can be taken with our without food so it really doesn't matter. I took it when I had sinus surgery - no problems.

Good luck with your surgery!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users