14 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Hi, my name is Lucas, 32 years old, from brazil. i was diagnosed last december with 258.000 wbc (0% blast in my first CBC and 3% in another), 8% basophil, HB 8.5 and a big spleen.  BMB showed just 1.2% blasts and no fibrosis. My symptons were just abdominal discomfort and some lack of breath while running. I'm on generic imanitib and doing good, no side effects at all. I feel great, but sometimes i get a little down, especially because my ex-GP failed: i went for a check up in november 2012 and my wbc were at 17.000 and he thought it was an infection or laboratory error and told me not to worried. Well, one year later in here, a high sokal patient. Life goes on and i'm fighting for my life with glivec (actually generic imatinib made by brazilian government), acupuncture, nutritional monitoring and exercises.

I have one question: what is more important for prognosis: blasts in the blood or blasts in the marrow? That question is pumping on my head because i had 0% blasts in my first CBC and 3% in a second one, 2 days later (I did not sleep during this period and maybe there's some influence in the result), and my bone marrow showed just 1.2% blasts.

Cheers!!

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Blasts in the blood are more of an issue.  There should be some blasts in the marrow.  Blasts are just early stage white blood cells.  They are supposed to stay in the marrow until they mature (actually divide several more times). 

I do not see the "high Sokal score" as fitting your situation.  And besides, Sokal scoring is generally irrelevant since TKI drugs.  The higher basophil level is the most significant issue I see.  But the only real issue is how you respond to the TKI drug.  The rest is not very important.

Welcome.

#3 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Thanks, trey. it was just a thought because i didn't have many blasts in the BMB (only 1.2%) and only 2% basophil. The strange thing was that in my first CBC i had 4% basophils, 0% blasts and  9.7 HB. two days latter i had 8% basophils, 3% blasts and 8.4 HB. The only reason i was high sokal was the size of my spleen (16cm from the costal margin). But, so far so good. My counts are normal right now.

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

It seems you are responding well, so that is the primary issue.  All other "old" predictors such as Sokal are now useless.  They were only useful before TKI drugs.

#5 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

thanks for the support, trey!!

I'll have an appointment this week. maybe i'm get a little anxious

One funny thing: i had another translocation (rob(13;14)(q10;q10)) wich my doctors think it's constitutional (i was born with it) and there's no prognostic factor in cml.

#6 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

My spleen was very big as well. Went down past my belly button, but started gleevec and it shrank fast and was back to normal within a few months, PCR results have been good so far on 400mg gleevec, still alive and kicking after 2 years

#7 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

HI Lucas:  Let me welcome you to our group.  I have been living with CML for 15 years, and been on Gleevec for 13 years.  400MG a day, and doing well with it.  I will leave all the technical questions to our guy Trey.  He is the one who has the answers for all of us all the time.  It takes time to adjust to whatever TKI your on, but you should do fine.

You will see a lot of questions and conversations, and a lot of times you can relate to what others are going through.  This helps us along the way as we share and talk.

Susan

#8 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, teddy!

I read about your journey in another forum. It's great that "big bellys" (my spleen past my belly button too!) like us are doing great

#9 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the support, susan!!

It's great to have a feedback from a survivor like you!! I read EVERYTHING on trey's blog! it was very helpfull! I am on generic imatinib - 400 mg.

#10 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I had a very high Sokol score, and almost 4.5 years later, I am still alive and have had a good response to dasatinib (another TKI).  Like Trey said, I am not sure how reliable the Sokol is any more.  It makes me think of how doctors analyzed bumps on patients heads long ago to diagnose illness.  According to the Sokol score, I should be dead by now, but I am very much alive.  Except the pressure of knowing I have this monster in my blood, my life is pretty much normal now. 

I had no symptoms, but couldn't keep weight on for years.  I saw 3 different doctors (numerous times) and none of them, in 2 years time, could find anything wrong with me.  Since I am female, I was criticized for liking to be pencil thin and having an eating disorder.  I had some abdominal discomfort before my yearly checkup one year.  It turned out I had an enlarged spleen and liver and a WBC 180,000.  So, the  3 doctors I had been running to for 2 years, failed me (an internist who specializes in preventive medicine, a gastroenterologist--I thought I had stomach cancer because it runs on my mother's side--and an OB/GYN).  So, I very much understand your dismay.  I had always been very healthy with excellent health habits.  Either this disease is very hard to diagnose, or it is so rare, especially in your age group, (and mine still), doctors do not think of looking until it practically spits in their face, (meaning, doctors don't normally look until the disease shows itself without doubt).  Thank goodness your CML is still CP. 

I am very sorry to hear it took so long for you to be diagnosed.  We put so much trust in our doctors.  You will now enter a world where you will often see the fallibility of medical science, but there are also great successes, like TKIs.  Just got to keep perspective as you gain a bit more knowledge about a subject you never thought you would ever learn (blood cancer).  It is likely you will respond well to drug therapy and will continue on with your life much like you did before.  Except with the knowledge of CML, there may be more  emotional challenges than physical. 

I am happy to hear you have few side effects.  Please post about how you are doing and if you have any questions.  This LLS board is full of kind and extremely knowledgeable people and some have been here for years.  You have come to the best place. 

I wish you an excellent response and quick healing, and of course, a long life.

Tedsey

P.S. My diagnosis and labs were done by a bunch of monkeys during a national holiday (except one hematology "fellow" was excellent, but was bumped by his superior who wasn't superior).  I was locked into an oncology ward for a whole week (because of a flu epidemic) and was torn from my nursing baby and given a ton of useless tests and medication and given a grave prognosis by the lead oncologist.  I won't go into the mistakes that were made during diagnosis and the incompetence following subsequent visits.  It will just make me depressed.  If I ever have to relive that, I know I will be in hell.  But there are more people like we who doctors or pathology initially failed.  Just make sure to find a good doctor you can trust and feel good with.  It will be a long relationship.  Nevertheless, what really counts is now and how you are doing now. 

#11 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the kind words, tedsey!!

I read a lot about your journey in this forum - actually, i read a lot about cml, more than i shoul read - and i know how hard it's your journey.

At the beginning, it was hard to know the i was misdiagnosed for a whole year, but after i started to think about it in a positive way: well, i had this disease for more than a year and i'm still in CP so maybe my cml isn't that agressive (don't know if i'm right, but i try to think in this way). The only thing that keeps my mind a little tense is the fact i had more myeloblasts in the blood (3%) and just 1.2% in the marrow (they did a lot of tests with my marrow - 4 or 5 different types of exams - and all showed 1% or 1.2% myeloblasts and no lymphoid blasts), but it's ok, since i'm under the "magic" 5% number

I did some blood work yesterday and will have an appointment tomorrow , so, fingers crossed! My last 2 CBC showed a stable 7.500 wbc, with 13.5 Hb and platelets at the low end normal. I hope i can get some good numbers tomorrow

Regards!

#12 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hi

We are all waiting for your update.  All the best

Thomas

#13 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hi everyone!!

I had an appointment today and everything was ok. My spleen isn't enlarged anymore neither my liver. My counts are a little low (3.286 wbc and 86.250 plts. 13.59 Hb). but not that bad. I feel great and next month i'll have a BMA. fingers crossed!!

Thank you all!

Thanks, thomas!

#14 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Great

#15 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member