9 replies to this topic

#1 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi everybody,

Hope you guys will be able to help me since none of my doctors really can.. Is it safe to take Monistat combo 3 with Tasigna?  my dr thinks I either have an yeast infection or UTI and prescribed me Monistat 3 and Nitrofurantoin for UTI because he's not sure if I have both, so I used medscape.com drug interactions website and is says that Monistat can increase Tasigna levels, however my doctor thinks I should be fine but I can tell that he's not sure ugh Does anybody knows?

Dina

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Did I read this correctly?  Your doctor doesn't know if it's a yeast infection or a UTI?  If that's the case, you need a new doctor. 

Marnie

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Dina,

I gotta agree with Marnie, they're not that difficult to tell a part.  "UTIs can be fairly easily distinguished from vaginal infections by a host of symptoms, including pain or burning when urinating, blood or mucus in urine, needing to urinate often, pain or pressure in back or lower abdomen, and a fever or chills, all of which are typical of UTIs but not yeast infections."

I wouldn't take anything if I wasn't sure what I had.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

I agree with you guys, he only said that my urine shows some bacteria and sent sample to the lab in the meantime gave two prescriptions until he he gets the results back. My symptoms have started as yeast infection and honestly I think thats what it is but all of the medication that treats yeast infection interacts with Tasigna so I'm a little nervous but need to do something soon since my symptoms are not going away.

Dina

#5 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Bladder infection story:

We were in N. Carolina visiting my very proper inlaws.  I got a bladder infection.  Went to the hospital.  Did the pee test, though I knew what it was. . .I've had many.  Anyway, the doc came into the room and said to me, "You must be either a hooker or a teacher."  I agreed as to how I was, indeed, one of those things.  He told me that those are the two professions with the highest incidence of UTI.  When we got back to inlaws house, I laughed about it and told mother-in-law.  She was HORRIFIED by the doc's comment.  I thought it was pretty funny. 

Another bladder infection story:

Husband and I were on a motorcycle trip.  We had to stop about every 10 miles so hubby could find a bathroom.  He came out after about the 5th stop and said, "I just don't understand.  I keep having to pee, but when I try, nothing comes out."  I told him that he probably had a bladder infection (I've had many. . .did I already say that??). Found the nearest hospital (in the middle of Wyoming, where there is nothing).  The lady doc there, after determining what it was, asked my husband, while I was present, if he had had sex with multiple partners, since UTIs are quite uncommon in men.  Husband was outraged that she asked while I was in the room. 

Luckily, UTIs clear up very quickly once you're on meds.  BUT. . .eat yogurt while on the antibiotics, otherwise you'll get a yeast infection. (That was for Dina).

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

You should not be concerned about the interactions issue.  Whether you trust your doc is another matter.  Personally, I would at least treat the UTI since bacteria was found.

#7 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

Marnie,

I've decided to live my life vicariously through you! Seriously!

I've also had many UTIs through my earlier years so I was surprised to have them crop up again after an absence of 30 years or so. I blame it on GI events from Sprycel (use your imaginag\tion). I have occasionally been able to ward off a UTI by pushing fluids and have been able to get through the weekend until I could see my GP by using AZO. Considered the use of d-mannous (supposed to keep e-coli bacteria from being able to adhere to the wall of the bladder - only works with e-coli) but haven't worked up the gumption to order any from amazon.

Marnie, I wish you had told him you were a hooker, I would have loved to hear about the reaction!

Dina, Trey's correct, you should take the anitbiotic at least since bacteria did show in the culture. My answer was not well considered; I got hung up on the poor choice of words by your doc.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#8 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Actually, there was a bit more to the second bladder infection story. . .

Husband got on antibiotics, but the problem didn't clear up, so by the time we got to my hometown in Minnesota, we stopped at the hospital to get a stronger antibiotic for hubby.  Sat in the waiting room for a long time and people-watched. 

Then afterward stopped at some store to pick up something before heading to my parents' house.  Got off the bikes, and hubby was so discombobulated by the long ride, discomfort, etc, that he dropped his bike in the parking lot (it's a BMW 1200gs, which is a pretty darned big bike).  Anyway, as I was rushing over to see if he was o.k and to help pick up the bike, I heard this lady say to her husband, "That's the poor guy we saw at the hospital. . .honey, go help him pick up his motorcycle!"  They must have thought we were a pathetically inept example of humanity.

Living vicariously through my stories might make you feel like a moron.  Although. . .it wasn't ME that dropped the bike.  Oh yeah. . .that's another story.

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

The buffalo was vicarious.  The moose was the reality.

#10 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Ugh. It's the overuse of antibiotics that often leads to yeast infections or increases their severity. There's a constant competitive balance going on between yeast and bacteria in a woman's vagina, and if you kill the bacteria with antimicrobials, the yeast can easily overgrow the natural, healthy bacteria and upset the balance, hence the yeast infections. This is termed 'microbial antagonism.'  Antibiotics should be avoided if at all possible, in all cases. It upsets me how often they're overprescribed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users