#1 August1

August1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hi everyone,

What was your experience in reaching, or getting to, CCyR? I get confused by the definition of CCyR as "no detectable CML cells." This isn't really accurate, right, because you can be in CCyR and still show detectable levels via PCR. So I guess they mean only when using FISH? But wouldn't some labs or FISH tests be better than others?

After just over a year of treatment (and after switching drugs) my PCR came back at 0.9%. I was thinking that I was doing OK given that I was at least on the right side of the decimal point but somehow my FISH test also came back at 0.8%. It stated that they had found 4/500 cells, which is pretty consistent with the PCR. I just wasn't aware that FISH testing was accurate out to 500 cells.

So I guess at this point, it's CBNQ CCyR which would equate to a "close but not quite" CCyR?

Thanks,

#2 Tom1278

Tom1278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

The cytogenic tests look for the Philadelphia chromosome in the cells.  The PCR tests look at the molecular transcripts that are a product of the Philadelphia chromosome.  They are looking for 2 different things.

I had the same issue at 12 months... FISH = 0.8% and PCR around 2%.

My new doctor at 15 months did a BMB and cytogenetics to confirm the CCyR occurred because the 12 month results weren't clear. 

She said she always wants to confirm the CCyR by looking at the marrow itself and not just by relying on FISH.

Tom

Diagnosed with CML in July 2012 (33 years old)

MMR since March 2015; E453K mutation

600mg Gleevec

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

You may want to read this:

http://community.lls.org/docs/DOC-1273

#4 August1

August1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Tom and Trey,

That clears things up for me. Much appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users