Photo

Does the Sprycel Headache Ever Go Away? How Long?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

I've had a whale of a headache in the sinus area for 6 straight days since I started on 100mg Sprycel after switching from Gleevec. I can barely see straight at times, and it's starting to affect my college coursework. The required textbook readings are piling up at a pretty good clip.

Please tell me this headache is just a phase that will soon end. If so, how long does it last typically?

Thanks, Joe

#2 Johnc

Johnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Joe

although not an expert at this but i created a  daily log when i start and the headaches ceased between 7 to 10 days. hang in there.

you are almost there. look at others post and you will find similar stories.

Good luck with your treatment plan

johnc

#3 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Joe. . .hang in there.  The headache goes away.  I had heard about it, so I told my onc that I wanted to start on half dose (50mg) for 5 days before going to full dose, after taking a week break from Gleevec.  That worked well for me.  I had a minimal headache for about a week, maybe 2. 

If you started out on full dose, then I'm not surprised that you're having monster headaches.  I've heard that most people get relief from the headaches after about 2 weeks.

I've been on 100 mg sprycel for 2.5 years now.  I had a great response (immediately), and have had very few side effects although for the past year I've had a pretty awful rash on my scalp, hairline, and in my ears. 

Good luck with Sprycel.  The headaches will go away soon.  Hopefully you will have the same great response that I did, and no rash. 

Marnie

#4 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the tip.

#5 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Very helpful post. Thanks.

Quick question. Is a TKI break customary when switching TKIs? I brought that up to my oncologist, but he didn't seem to think it was necessary. I gave myself a 1 day break anyways, because I know Gleevec's half-life is in the 18-24 hr. range. I figured it couldn't hurt. It was just a day...

I wish I had researched a little more. Maybe I would had tried the half dose route instead. I hear that you cannot split the pills in half, so that would have required a slightly different prescription, but oh well.

Boy, that first day was rough. Took the pill on Sunday night at about 9, and then got a great night's sleep prior to getting up at 5:20 the next morning for work. I got out of bed and noticed that I was soaked with sweat. Stepped in the shower, let the hot water hit my head, and had a head-rush so bad I almost fell through my shower curtain. Hot water on my head still makes my head pound, so I haven't washed my hair in a few days; Don't tell anyone. As I drove to work, I was sweating so bad that it was running into my eyes, despite open windows and 40-degree temps. Pounding headache all day, eating Tylenols like TicTacs. Full 8 hrs of work, during which I puked into an empty cardboard box after getting dizzy while driving a forklift backwards, followed by 5 hours of class lectures. Just a day I won't soon forget. These TKIs are no joke.

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hi Joe,

I'm the idiot that went on Sprycel 2 days before thanksgiving. I was on Gleevac 3 years, onc gave me a 5 week break before I started Sprycel. 100mg. Hubby ended up cooking dinner and him and our little cocker spaniel Annie had dinner by themselves, Annie sat at the table with him. That was 3 years ago. I took ibuprofin gelcaps that was the only thing that helped me. Everyday the headache eased up for 2 weeks. I get a headache occasionally but not anything like I got at first. So hang in there, I'm on 50mg now and bw is still ok.              Good Luck Billie

#7 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hey, Billie. . .I sent you an e-mail today, but don't know if I have the address correct.  Send me a note on my personal e-mail. 

Marnie

#8 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi Billie have not heard from you in a while,it is good to see you post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users