Photo

Which TKI Drug Would be Least Potentially Problematic for the Heart?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

On Tasigna exclusively since diagnosis 18 months ago, at consistent MMR since 6 months.  Heart issues have developed since taking the drug (no prior history of heart issues, 44 yr old male, active, no weight issues) including ventricular taccycardia and LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy).  The LVH just diagnosed following 18 month echo cardiogram - it wasn't present at 6 month echo.  Wondering if Gleevec or Sprycel might be less problematic for my heart, recognizing they have their own set of heart related issues?  My stress level is much higher for the heart issues than it is for the CML

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Since Gleevec inhibits fewer "off target" kinase than the others, I would say Gleevec is likely the answer. 

#3 Ray99

Ray99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

I am also on Tasigna for about 18 months.  My doctor order EKG every six months.  No problems so far.

How do you find out your heart issues.  Do you have any symptoms? I just wonder whether I need any tests to find out.

#4 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

My process started with me asking my hemotologist about 4-5 months in for an EKG since I was on Tasigna.  The EKG picked up an incomplete RBB, which is not all that unusual, but the hemotologist sent me to a cardiologist just to be safe.  From there, the rest of the issues have been picked up with different tests.  Some folks on Tasigna have recommended an annual echocardiogram to monitor the heart. 

I had no symptoms for any of the heart issues, including the arrythmias which occur regularly without me feeling them. 

#5 Ray99

Ray99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks,  I will ask my doc for an annual echo cardiogram, just to make sure no heart problems creeping up.

#6 Ray99

Ray99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I ask my doc about the Tasigna potential side effect on heart.  He said it could cause qt prolongation, but not incomplete RBB.  If your EKG picked up incomplete RBB, could it be there before the Tasigna?

He also said that annual echo cardiogram is probably not necessary, just EKG is sufficient.

#7 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Ray - yes, the incomplete RBB was prior to diagnosis, just didn't know it at the time.  This was what triggered the visit to the cardiologist.  The other heart issues, which are much more concerning developed post diagnosis.  I certainly don't think everyone on Tasigna is at risk of these issues, so you are probably fine in your case. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users