2 replies to this topic

#1 Otigon

Otigon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hello again all,

My results from my most recent BMB and PCR were posted to my patient account from MD Anderson today. I've been anxiously waiting for the past 2 weeks for the results, but my oncologist won't be in till next week to go over these results with me.

For a little history, I was diagnosed in April 2013 with WBC at 280,000. I had the initial BMB on April 14th, and was started on Tasigna 300mg twice daily. In May I switched to MD Anderson and they decided to go ahead with another BMB on May 28th. The PCR at this time was still up over 100%, and the BMB showed 12/20 abnormal cells.

So fast forward 3 months and I can't make heads or tails of this new PCR report. Anyone out there that can help to translate this to normal speak?

Procedure Name: MDL Direct: t(9;22) BCR/ABL1 by Real Time PCR

Procedure Date: 08/29/2013

Accession Number: S-13-068321 (M-13-011202)

MATERIALS TESTED

Source material: S-13-068321

Tissue site: Bone marrow

Collection date: 8/29/2013 11:08:00 AM

MOLECULAR RESULTS

t(9;22); BCR-ABL1 Translocation Assay by Quantitative RT-PCR:

A b2a2 BCR-ABL1 fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL1 fusion protein is detected by quantitative real-time RT-PCR.

The percentage of BCR-ABL1 to ABL1 transcripts is 0.44.

Methodology:

Quantitative real-time PCR analysis was performed on reverse-transcribed RNA from this sample for the BCR-ABL1 fusion transcripts

resulting from the t(9;22)(q34;q11.2) in Leukemia. This multiplex assay is designed to detect common BCR-ABL1 fusion transcripts e13a2

(b2a2), e14a2(b3a2) and e1a2. The fusion transcripts are differentiated based on the size of the PCR product using capillary

electrophoresis. BCR-ABL1 and ABL1 transcript levels are detected simultaneously and quantitative results are expressed as the percent

ratio of BCR-ABL1 to ABL1 transcript levels. This ratio may vary up to one-log because of methodological reasons. The sensitivity of

detection of BCR-ABL1 transcripts by real-time PCR is between 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 100,000.

Comment:

This assay can be used to monitor minimal residual disease (MRD).

ASR Disclaimer:

This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory (MDL) at MD Anderson Cancer Center. It has not

been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA has determined that such clearance or approval is not necessary. This test is

used for clinical purposes. This laboratory is certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA) of 1988 to perform high complexity clinical laboratory

testing.

Entire report and diagnosis completed by: Keyur P Patel MD, PhD 12348 Sep 05, 2013

------END OF REPORT------

Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine

U.T.M.D. Anderson Cancer Center

1515 Holcombe Boulevard

Houston, Texas 77030

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

David,

Your PCR result is .44% which is very good for  under 5 months.  You have an approximate 2.5 log reduction (others could do the exact math for you) so you have reached CCyR which is approx 2 log reduction.  You are ahead of schedule for your treatment goals.

Details:  Your PCR was done using bone marrow aspirate (fluid).  You have the standard b2a2 version of the Philadelphia Chromosome, and is also categorized as P210 (all standard).  All the report verbiage is normal CML stuff and nothing to be concerned about in the details of the report.

All is well.

#3 Otigon

Otigon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thank you very much for the info Trey!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users