• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnc

Johnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I can't locate anything conclusive on this board or the web.

Does Neupogen stimulate cancer cells?

Thoughts?

Johnc

#2 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

It could.  However, I feel if it is used conservatively and for a short time, health risks are minimal.  As you probably know, it is commonly used when WBC/ANC is low.  It gets a little tricky as to "how low can a person go" before he or she is really in danger.  Blood counts often fluctuate.  Moreover, oncs have different thresholds for how low they will allow someone to go before suggesting filgrastim injections (derived from E. coli), transfusions, etc.  It also depends on the patient.  Some people function well and do not get sick while very low, and some do.  But I do not know the current statistics.  My advice would be to use only when necessary and don't use it if you can get away without.  Although the warnings against using this drug on patients with CML are probably warranted, it is commonly used to treat neutropenia anyway.  All treatments come with risks.  You just hope the right choices have been made for you or you agree that the benefit outweighs the risk.

Teds

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

It stimulates the production of  WBC granulocyte (neutrophils, basophils, eosinophils), mainly at the progenitor cell level (not so much at the stem cell level, apparently).  So if there are leukemic progenitor granulocyte WBCs and good progenitor granulocyte WBCs, it will stimulate all granulocytes roughly equally.  That is fine as long as the TKI drugs are working relatively well.  But they should only be used if the ANC gets very low.  What "very low" means is different for each person, but  at least below ANC 1.0, probably about .75 or lower for most patients. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users