#1 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

My CBC had begun to stabilize with all numbers headed in the right direction:

WBC is at 3.8 and all other numbers have shown a trend of getting close to normal.  The only one that keeps rising is the EO%

1.2 1/16

2.1 1/25

2.6 2/8

4.0 2/18

4.9 3/8

4.8 3/22

6.1 4/19

Is this something I should be concerned about?  I feel like my doctor isn't really taking this into consideration.  I just don't want them to miss something.

Mayra

#2 LLawrence

LLawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Mayra,

From what I understand, they get much more concerned with increasing basophils.  Eosinophils increase with allergies as well as some parasitic infections.  I don't know about your location, but in the southern US, the pollen counts are huge right now.  Here's hoping it's something minor.

Leesa

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

You said the percentage is high, but what about the absolute number?  Since the total percentage of all types of white blood cells must equal 100% on the CBC, the percentages of individual types of white blood cells may appear to be high when they are actually normal.  That is because one or more of the other types is low, so the others must make up the difference as a percentage.  I assume your neutrophil percentage is low, so some other percentages will be higher to make up for that.  For this reason it is the absolute numbers that must be used, not the percentages. 

#4 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

The absolute number is .2 so within the normal range.  Normal is between 0 and .3.  So I guess it nothing to worry about! 

Trey as always you have helped me tremendously!! Thank you for responding and making me feel better about this.   My anxiety tends to get the best of me these days.

#5 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Mayra: I was afraid of those eosinphils myself for a while, but it was nothing to worry about, and mine were 1.9 of 6,3wbc total.

Check out my complete numbers here:

http://community.lls.org/thread/16534

Seems my throat infection and beeing put on antibiotis had something to do with it.

Im pretty sure you will be fine, but i know how much these numbers run our lives, so i can understand you are worried, but try not to be

Teddy

#6 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Teddy thanks for putting this into perspective!!  I will try not to worry.  My allergies have been bad so that could also account for the increase.

I just love you guys!! Thanks for all of the help and encouraging words!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users