• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rich1403989321

rich1403989321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

I have told only a few folks at work that I have cml.  I do not trust HR (at any company I've been at) no offense to any HR pros on the board.  Is it better to tell them and fill out fmla paperwork or not?

thank you.

#2 momruns

momruns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

I filled out the FMLA papers, I was doing fine so I thought it was a waste, but I did it anyway.  This year when they switched me to Sprycel I had numerous numerous mouth sores and had to miss about 8 days of work in one month, (more than I missed in the past 10 years).  I am grateful I had filled out the paperwork.  At my work if you miss a day of work they take the hours from your vacation bank.  Some of us oldtimers have sick days from when my company was owned by some other company.  Having the fmla allows me to use those hours when something like this comes up.  We cannot get into these hours unless we have a FMLA or are out of work form more than 40 hours (in one episode). 

As for you filling out the paperwork, the choice is yours.  I have found it to be a safety blanket.  I have 25 years as a nurse in this hospital and since we were bought out by a "big" hospital chain I feel I need it to protect my job.  Hope you get some other suggestions. 

P.S.  I was taken off Sprycel after only 4 months, I just started bosutunib this week.

Loreta

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi, rich,

If you feel that way, I'm not sure why you would have to tell them at all. Why fill out FMLA unless you need it? The only time I miss at work is for my Mayo appt. once a year and every couple of months for a short followup appt. with my local onc to go over blood work. I have my labs drawn early before work.

I co-facilitate some projects with our HR director and he knows I have CML, but he also knows I can work long days in spite of it. It's been 4 years for me and I have had my early struggles, but I've reached an accord with it and Sprycel so we may just be at different points in our journey.

You have to do what you feel comfortable (and safest) with in this economic climate. There's no need to tell them anything unless you need to. Be aware that they may already know something if they handle the company's health insurance.

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 abramsmm

abramsmm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Asbolutely not!  They can't terminate us for having cancer, but who will be the first one cut (to control insurance costs) on the next round-- for another reason or no reason at all? Unless you work for an entity that would, by definition, be very understanding (e.g. certain non-profits), I can tell you from experienced that no good deed goes unpunished, and we can get bouced around indefinitely since no one wants the burden of our costs. 

Legally, now that I'm off my soap box, I think you are obligated to reveal any accomodations you will need to do your job.

More official information is available from the Patient Advocacy Foundation, the Cancer Legal Resource Center, or an attorney in the state where your company is employing you.

FMLA, if available (e.g. enough employees in a geographical area), might change the situation---- but, who says they need to have a position available?  There are loopholes available for your employer.

#5 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm a bit surprised by the number of people with cml that go on disability. I've had side effects to meds and some fatigue, but never to the extent where I needed to take any sick days. I'm not saying the disability claims aren't valid, but am curious as to what issues some of you were having that caused you to go on disability.

#6 cfoley1215

cfoley1215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I fill out my FMLA paperwork faithfully every six months. I have to think that a company would have a REALLY hard time firing someone with that on file, especially if you aren't going over your sick days (or PTO days) - lots of hassle with the ADA. Don't really know, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users