• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

After having an episode of atrial fibrillation that landed me in the hospital, I was curious if Tasigna could have been involved in causing it.  I have been on it for two years and have never had anything like this; I'm 26 years old.

In January I had an echocardiogram (I wanted to check and make sure PVCs I had were benign), and a 30-day even recorder.  My echo turned out great and the event recorder only caught benign PVCs and slightly elevated resting rate, so they prescribed me a low dose beta blocker.

Just a few weeks later I have an episode of A-fib.  It doesn't make sense that at my age and condition it was due to something in my heart.  My potassium was a bit low (3.1)--probably Tasigna caused, and I had worked strenuously for hours that morning outside, which probably sucked me a bit dry.

On the Tasigna drug info sheet, it says that atrial fibrillation was common data obtained from clinical trials.  My question is, does that mean they connected it to the Tasigna, or just that patients who were in the trial happened to have it during the trial?

The hospitalist wanted to put me on cardizem (it interacts with Tasigna, but I guess they didn't check).  I'm seeing my cardiologist Thursday and would like to discuss with him and just call it a fluke, and make sure I take potassium and magnesium when I am doing heavy activity.

Thank you.

#2 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Taylor - sorry to hear about the afib incident.  I believe we are in somewhat similar situations and we've traded replies a couple of times re: heart issues. I'm 42, fit, no history of heart troubles, diagnosed 1 year ago, on Tasigna since diagnosis.  Instead of A-fib I have developed V-tach and an irregular RBB.  I do believe the Tasigna is to blame, but I also now believe it isn't likely to kill me (although anytime they quote "risk of sudden death" it is unnerving).  My cardiologist stated that some TKI's are important for heart health so perhaps there is some mechanism there. 

I am also on low dose beta blockers because of the v-tach.  My cardiologist orignally had me on Metoprolol, but after some literature search I asked to switch to Atenolol because it had shown no interaction with Tasigna.  You may want to have a look at this study from blood journal on many TKI interactions (beta blockers are all listed on page 5). 

Here's the link:  http://bloodjournal..../8/e75.full.pdf

Best of luck - keep us up to date. 

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Both TKI drugs and exercise deplete potassium and magnesium, so I would start with supplements. 

#4 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thank you both for the info!  After seeing my cardiologist today, he didn't like how low my potassium was.  I was already on a supplement, but he prescribed me a heavy-duty potassium pill.  Hopefully it will help me from now on.

I had printed out that bloodjournal stuff and the CNA had actually printed out a copy herself, which I thought was awesome.  Non-oncs usually aren't so prepared.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users