• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 isabel223

isabel223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

I looked through some old threads, but didn't see anyone else who had consistent problems with high blood sugar on Tasgina. My blood sugar is consistently over 115 without having eaten in the last 3 hours, and has gotten up to even 161 independent of food. Highest with food has been 201. My onc has me testing my blood sugar 3 times a day right now. I've had frequent urination and dehyrdation due to the high blood sugar, even feeling dizzy or faint. Onc says if this blood sugar displays a consistent pattern we will have to switch medicines because of long term effects of high blood sugar. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Also, Ive had alot of side -effects i haven't seen others mentioning-- Constipation, gas, stomach pain, and acid pain. Anyone else?

Thanks!

#2 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi Isabel,

I'm on Tasigna and I may have a problem with the blood sugar.  I began to have issues with bad blood sugar crashes about 1.5 years after starting Tasigna.  My onc previously never said anything about high blood sugar when I would come in.

Anyway, after having these issues I talked to my PCP who ordered a glucose test (it was supposed to be the glucose intolerance, but it was ordered wrong so the test was slightly different).  I fasted and drank the stuff and 2 hours later I was a little high, which surprised me.  I then got home, which is literally across the street from the lab, and within five minutes I had a huge crash.  So I think there is something said for the high glucose and Tasigna--I just react a little differently I guess.

I do not have other symptoms of high blood sugar though.  What's the highest yours has gotten?

#3 isabel223

isabel223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

Without food-- 161, but with food it has gotten above 200. I think the other symptoms clued us into the blood sugar elevation, but my levels had been steadily climbing. Probably unrelated but strange is a consistently elevated bilirubin (spelling?) level in the liver, which they can't explain. there's always something new it seems !

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

All TKI drugs can cause increased blood glucose levels, although there are also reports of Gleevec lowering blood glucose levels in some diabetic patients.  There may be different factors working for each issue.  This is one of those things where the phrase "we are all different" has patients on both extremes.  For me, I have experience higher blood glucose levels on Gleevec. 

Tasigna can cause high glucose levels more often than the other TKI drugs. 

#5 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Dear blood sugar questions

When I first started on Tasigna over 2 yrs ago I wrote frequently in desperation when I saw my blood sugar levels steadily increasing.  Fasting 160 to 180, A1C 6.5,  for a yr or so, late afternoon, sometimes I could get it down just under 100 but not any more.  When I went off Tasigna for a month my numbers came back down close to normal.  I have found no solution for it, next step I guess is to go on medication.  Adding one more med to my arsenal really discourages me.  I work so very hard on eating the right thing, loosing weight and exercising.  Between the fasting hrs required with Tasigna and trying to stay out of full blown diabetes, I feel like food controls my life.  I have become obsessive about it and it has changed my life style.  I actually make decisions around what, when and how am I going to eat what is available. Recently did not enjoy a 3 day trip to celebrate my great grandsons first birthday because we ate out and at other peoples houses and I could not control what other people served.  Nor could I enjoy eating at Thanksgiving (did enjoy the company and laughter so I guess that is what Thanksgiving should be any way).  Food has become my enemy.

So much for my complaining. Every CML drug has its side effects and none of them are an  easy road. I was diagnosed with CML 7 yrs ago and I am still alive and should be grateful, for  without them I would not have even been here to celebrate my great grandsons birthday.  I must warn all of you tho, if you have surgical procedures, cortisone injections etc it can elevate your blood sugar dramatically.  Mine went over 300 after a steroid shot for sciatica, it also went up that high for what ever they give you for cataract surgery.  Before anyone gives you injections find out the impact on blood sugar.  So far, I don't know what you do to prevent it or treat it after you have them, but Dr.'s need to know this.  the only thing I know to do to bring down blood sugar is exercise and water, something you really don't feel like doing after surgery.

I hope someone will write in here with some solutions.  I think my onc may try one of the new CML meds coming out next yr. I have even thought about going back to Sprycel if it were not for those bad pleural effusions.

Susan

#6 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

My blood glucose levels went up much higher than yours after switching to Tasigna.  It came down some by watching my diet, increasing exercise, and losing weight.

However, they are still way too high and I went to an endicrinologist, who recently added Januvia to the metformin I had been taken already.

I too am looking for help with this issue.

#7 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Did your A1C go down after you stopped Tasigna for a while?  I ask because although the few times I've checked my blood sugar has been high, my A1C comes back as normal.

#8 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I was only off Tasigna for 1 month so it would not effect the A1C  that much.   But as I do remember, I think it went from 6.9 to 6.5.  If you only have occasional high glucose levels your A1C will be ok, it is when the highs are pretty consistent.  When I first started taking Tasigna my fasting blood sugar was consistently high my A1C also remained ok, but it has been steadily rising, until now it is consistently over 6.5.  My health care provided policy considers medication necessary diabetes when you get to 7 and I have been trying to avoid another medication.   In order to keep mine under 7 I have to work so very hard and as I said between Tasigna good restrictions and diabetes I feel like food controls my life and I am loosing the battle. My concern is that any classes on diabetes I have taken, which is about 30 hrs worth from the same health care provider, say any time your blood sugar goes over 120 it is doing damage to your organs.  If you have studied anything about diabetes it is a devastating disease which effects almost every organ in your body.  I fear it more than I fear CML.

If you or some else  knows something different, I would be greatly relieved to hear it.

#9 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Please let me clarify something..... everyones blood sugar is going to rise and often over 120 right after you eat.  it is the b/s sugar 2-3 hrs after you eat or before a meal that you want to monitor and most Dr. are most concerned with the fasting b/s in the morning when you first get up that should be under 99.

Susan

#10 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

The reason A1C is useful is that it averages the glucose levels over a period of time.  It checks for glucose tied to hemaglobin in the red blood cells, and since the RBCs survive in the bloodstream for a couple months on average, the A1C gets a picture of the glucose over a couple months time.

In my case, the fasting glucose is high end of normal, but A1C is mid-normal.  So my doc says no worries. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users