• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

I know that you should not take calcium supplements with gleevec, but is it okay to drink milk when taking the pill or is any form of calcium bad with gleevec?

#2 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Tasigna and Gleevec bind to calcium and are excreted with unabsorbed calcium.  So I wouldn't take T or G with any food or drink that is high in calcium.

#3 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks lizzybee - I kinda figured that milk was not good but had to ask.

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hi:  I always use a big glass of water with my Gleevec, but I have had problems with Calcium.  When I first started taking Gleevec I was having some stomach issues.  I was only using TUMS for about a week before I had to go for blood work, and my Calcium level was very high.  My Oncologist asked me if I was taking anything that I usually did not take.  I mentioned using TUMS, and he told me they were full of Calcium and to stop them.  I did, and my Calcium came back to normal on the next blood work.  A glass of milk once in awhile should not effect anything, but too much milk could be a problem.  I do use milk in my coffee, and that has not caused any type of increase in my Calcium.

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Milk is not nearly as bad as taking a calcium pill, which can do a lot of binding with drugs taken at the same time.  This is due to the sheer volume of the calcium in the pill, and also pill form calcium has very low uptake into the body, so any binding that occurs will result in poor absorption.  Milk calcium is much more readily absorbed by the body, and also remains dispersed.  So I would not worry about this issue much, although I would not do it every time just to err on the conservative side. 

#6 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I will definitly err on the conservative side and not drink milk with my gleevec.  Thanks Trey.  -- regarding susans response -- I drink milk everyday(not with gleevec) and take a calcium supplement ( not with gleevec) -- is this too much? -- i have never had my calcium levels checked before but was told i was low on vitamin d so i take that supplement also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users