• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bshantz

bshantz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I was diagnosed with CML 5 months ago at age 28, and started on Tasigna. Up until about 3 months ago, my side effects were minimal with just exhaustion. However, HEARTBURN from hell has started. I get it about once a week and it is THE most painful experience I've ever been through. They last anywhere from 5-12+ hours and no amount of over the counter meds seem to help. My doctor had me start

PRilosec but I cant tell any difference. It is so bad, i throw up throughout the episode. I have seen others on here have experienced heartburn on Tasigna and would LOVE your help! My doctor is saying it is not a side effect of Tasigna, but from what ive read on here it does seem to be. Please please help me, as this is unbearable!

#2 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I have moderate heartburn about four or five times a week. I tasigna.  I take antacid about 3 hours before I take my next dose, because I read that you should not take it too close to tasigna.   I really try to tough it out, because i do not want to take antacids a lot, but it gives real worrisome some days.  Hope you get that heartburn in check soon.

#3 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Are you sure that it is not Pancreatitis? Regards, Frank

#4 bshantz

bshantz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hmmmm...have't considered that option. I guess the symptoms are fitting to that as well. How do they test for that? They are trying to get me into a gastro dr this week. But pancreatitis does make sense...

#5 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hi bshartz

I had pancreatitis from Tagsigna and believe me its bad! It's doesn't come and go it starts and it puts you in the hospital. They test it through your blood its your count not sure which one goes up. But I don't think it could only be for one day. Mine started and it was so severe. It was worst then the spleen pain pretty bad. They usually put you on narcotics. it takes about 10 days to get over it. At least it did me then I was off medicine for a couple weeks for your body to clam down.

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#6 cfroncz1

cfroncz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

I had terrible heartburn on Gleevec after being on it for about 1 year. I don't know why it decided to start then, but it did and it was horrible. I could not eat anything besides plain white rice without having my stomach feel like it was on fire and then of course there was the nausea. I did not want to take Prilosec, but I had no choice. It did take about 2-3 weeks before I saw any improvement. I don't know exactly how you have to take the Tasigna (w/food, w/out food, etc), but I have found that taking my Gleevec at 8am and then the Prilosec at approximately 4pm (with only about 3 sips of water) works best. I eat dinner at about 5pm. I have tried taking it 30 minutes before eating and it doesn't seem to work at all. I know it sounds weird, but that is seriously the only way it works for me! I hope this helps in some way and that you can get some relief. I know how bad it sucks to have heartburn all the time.

Cheryl

#7 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

3-Fold elevation of  serum Lipase and/or amylase, and an abdomilal CT. Regards, Frank

#8 bshantz

bshantz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thank y'all SO much for your help! I have an appointment with a gastro on Thursday, so hopefully will get some answers. I just want this to be figured out, as it is NOT fun! Appreciate all the quick responses and answers, so encouraging to know others are here to help. Sometimes it seems so lonely...Thank you!

#9 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hi:  I can only tell you about what happened with me.  I was only on Gleevec a very short time, and had horrible heartburn.  I went to the Gastroenterologist, and had a EGD done.  Thats when they put the tube down through he esophagus to check everything.  I had already started with errosion in the Esophagus.  I was put on Nexium, and have been on it for 12 years along with my Gleevec.  There have been postings regarding Nexium and the other drugs used for GERD with some debate, but it has worked for me with no problem.  I would have ended up with possible Esophageal Cancer if I had not taken the Nexium.  When I went back to be rechecked it was all healing from just being on Nexium a short time.  Glad your going to see someone so you can find out if its GERD or Pancreatitis..

These drugs do good things, but we have to be aware of some of the other things they can cause.

#10 CDW

CDW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

hi,

hopefully your gastro doc will get this under control; however, i had some real heartburn issues on tasigna. since moving back to the UK from the US it's now not a problem at all, therefore I think a lot of it is diet influenced. stay away from tomatoes - pasta sauce, pizza, the lot. also give fruit juices a miss. anything spicy was also a no-go for me. I ate lots of white rice and very simple meat and potatoes. in addition i also took aloe vera juice daily - you can buy this in kroger - it doesn't taste too great but it seemed to help. I have also heard of others using apple cider vinegar to good effect, but i never had to resort to that.

i hope you get to the bottom of it as I really do understand your discomfort.

best wishes

Chris

#11 markmendonca

markmendonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

i get some heartburn i think its heartburn after i take tasigna or after i eat feels funny around my adamsapple.does anyone else....feel something like that????

#12 bshantz

bshantz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

They did my bloodwork, and looks like it isn't pancreatitis and all numbers seemed to be in the normal range. My EGD just showed signs of inflammation, but nothing that really stood out. They took a few biopsies and hopefully we will get results late next week. He said it looked like I had a slow moving stomach, and he guesses that is causing the bad heartburn when combined with Tasigna. I will have an ultrasound on Wednesday and go from there. Fingers crossed for an answer, but so so relieved it is not more cancer or anything glaringly wrong.

#13 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hi:  Your saying exactly what I thought.  You have the inflammation there, and your not going to get results till sometime during the week.  I would use a over the counter pill for the heartburn until you see the doctor to see what he wants you to take.  Like you said at least its not Pancreatitis or anything leaning towards another cancer.

I am sure its just the Tasigna doing to you what the Gleevec was doing to me.  Your going to be fine, you  just need to stop that acid from going into the Esophagus.

Susan

#14 bshantz

bshantz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Come to find out I had to have my gallbladder removed on Friday and that is where all my intense pain was coming from and not due to heartburn at all. I guess it will filled with gallstones, which they found on my ultrasound last Wednesday and surgery was scheduled for Friday. And my oh my...what a painful process that has been. They aren't sure if I had this issue before my CML and Tasigna or not. They said gallstones can be caused by high bilirubin, which I have had since the start of Tasigna, avg 1.5-2.0 or if I was just having high bilirubin based simply on my gallstones and not due to the Tasigna at all. They tried to do shoot some dye into my liver to see if there was a gallstone blockage out of my liver, but said they couldn't find anything. We will know more once I go back to my oncologist to see if my bilirubin has indeed dropped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users