#1 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

http://health.yahoo....revent-cancer#0

Just love these simplistic articles that blame the victim.  There are other links to more nonsense.  My brother in law came by a few months ago and stated that you only have to do 5 things to prevent cancer.  I could only hold my breath and I told him it isn't that simple (then he told me I just have bad genes--insinuating he doesn't).  And it is people like him who will live forever or get cancer when he is the ripe old age of 80 or 90.  Go figure.  Last visit, when I asked my onc why I did not notice any symptoms of CML before my spleen blew up, hence the diagnosis (at 180K WBC), she said she believed it was because I was so healthy.  Ironically, she still considers me very healthy (but I always correct her by saying, "You mean, besides the CML."  It is kind of funny, because I am not sure how more unhealthy a woman can be, but it is kind of her to say. 

These kind of articles really get my goat...there are so many of them.  That is why I stopped subscribing to this one nutrition magazine.  I was tired of reading researchers comments on how people caused their own cancers by not heeding whatever the researcher decided was a cancer-free lifestyle and habits.

Had to vent. 

Nevertheless, all the best and good health to everyone.  Ignore the ignorant who accuse you of an unhealthy lifestyle or we were born with "bad genes" (like that would be our fault if true).

Tedsey

P.S.  According to the article, filling a gas tank could cause cancer.  I didn't drive until way into adulthood (filled very few gas tanks in my life).  My bicycle was my only mode of transportation for years.  Maybe it was the exhaust I breathed in?  I have never been overweight or a smoker.  I ate low fat and lots of fruit and veggies (was vegetarian for years and still eat no red meat).   So what was it?  The X-Rays?  CT Scans?  Well, no matter what I did or exposed myself too, guess I was just asking for cancer, according to this article, that is.  I thought it was because I was fed everything canned and processed as a child.  We rarely had fresh fruit or vegetables, (except mashed potato mix, iceberg lettuce and occasional corn on the cob).  I befriended a grandmother of a child in my son's preschool class.  Her grandson's mom has bone and tissue cancer of the type that does not respond to chemo.  So, they keep on digging everything out of her backside.  Well, as a child she was fed organic, no sugar, yada, yada.  She still got cancer at 30.

#2 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Nice one, Tedsey!

In the spirit of the Olympics, let's all raise our "healthy!" flags proudly!

I subscribe to the idea that it's likely that CML is part of the "suitcase we came in with," meaning this was either something we inherited from our ancestors, or possibly something we got exposed to but really, why only we few got CML?, or it's our own karma (as in, everything we experience is the result of our own previous actions, which will find us eventually no matter where we are in time and space).

What matters is how we deal with it now. And I have great appreciation for all the benefits we are privy to, at this time in history, to deal with this diagnosis.

All goodness in life to everyone: may we all regain and maintain our equilibrium regardless of test results (may they all be curving in the right direction), family & friend understand/support, and current ability to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

As a friend often said to her high-spirited young son, "maintain."

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users