• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jstevens11

jstevens11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

Had a blood transfusion two weeks ago because I was anemic. Today I'm still anemic my hemoglobin count s 9.2. I have been on Gleevec since 2010. Had some minor joint pain in the beginning, but that went away. The last two weeks I have have serious joint pain in my back, hips and legs. The last two nights have been brutle with pain where I can't walk. My onc is speechless. He has no idea why all of a sudden this is happening. Last two nights pain meds did not help at all. Today I'm very sore, and I can feel that pain coming on slowly. I have cml and was diag in 2010.

Anybody else have this going on, or had it happen in the past?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Gleevec can cause such pain in some people.  It is believed to be caused by Gleevec changing the way bones metabolize minerals.  The mineral changeover can result in pain.  The pain may take a while to start since the bones change over their mineral content slowly.   It should recede over time.

#3 Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

I have found Gleevec and most pain meds don't mix well nor have they done much to relieve pain for some reason. 9 Months after starting Gleevec I broke my leg in 3 places. Even a IV drip didn't seem to help much in the hospital. I think the doctor thought I was a drug addict or something. It was the most excruciating 3 months of my life. its been 13 months and it still hurts and walk with a limp. I have learned to just deal with it cause the meds never really helped much any way. This illness sucks but we are still above ground that's a good thing I guess.

#4 Gaylemarcy

Gaylemarcy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Try taking an allergy pill with your gleevec!  I though my dr was crazy when he told me this but I have not had any pains at all since taking it!  Leg pain can also be from low potassium which is what happened to me with Gleevec!  Best of luck to you! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users