2 replies to this topic

#1 daniel1403989267

daniel1403989267

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

HI all,

I have a question that is likely to be unrelated to CML, but perhaps there is an outside chance this could be related to tasigna, so I figured I would solicit your feedback.

For the past week or so, I have been seeing traces of blood when clearing my throat. Very small amounts (flecks in the sputum) and only in the early afternoon. I do not have an infection (no fever or congestion) and am a 34 year old nonsmoker. No night sweats, weight loss or any B symptoms. I generally don't feel sick.

Spoke to my onc about it a few days ago at my quarterly appt and she order a chest x-ray, ekg and various blood tests. She said the chest x-ray looked good (though it is pending radiologist interpretation) and all other tests came back normal. Also maybe relevant, I had 3 chest CTs in 2007-2008 to inspect what turned out to be granuloma of unknown origin -- most likely scarring from childhood infection. I was assured by my onc that I should not be concerned about this -- she is certain it is benign.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? My CML-related medical history is dx 7/2007, gleevec 400mg 2007-2010, tasigna 800mg 2010-currently. CCR since early 2008 and fluctuating around MMR since early 2010.

Thanks,

Daniel

Oh, also might be relevant that my counts and biochemistry is totally normal with the exception of persistently slightly elevated eosinophils.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

The TKI drugs can make the blood "thin" due to either low platelets or poorly functioning platelets.  Then  issues such as small nosebleeds and small sinus bleeds can cause blood to trickle into the throat. 

#3 daniel1403989267

daniel1403989267

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

reasonable thoughts. my platelet levels are within normal range, but i suppose it is possible that their function is impaired. i often have traces of blood in sinus mucus, so post-nasal drip seems a good candidate. have not noticed an increase in sinus bleeding recently corresponding to the traces of blood in throat though.

anyone else experience blood streaked sputum?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users