Jump to content


Gleevec (Glivec) or Sprycel in Australia - Access after moving to new country?

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 svoisen


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

This is a longshot, but ...

I have the opportunity to pursue a PhD in Australia. The challenge is that I've been on Sprycel for the past 3 years (and Gleevec for 7 years before that).  Thanks to my employer-provided insurance, and thanks to graduate school funded insurance before that, I have access to Sprycel and Gleevec without problem here in the U.S. I have no idea how to get it if I were to move out of the country. In fact, I almost feel that this condition prevents me from ever moving outside the U.S., even for the 3 years required of the PhD (unless I were independently wealthy!)

Anyone have experience with this, in Australia or elsewhere?

I'm 31 years old and PCR negative. But as we all know, you don't simply stop taking these medications just because you're negative. If only it were that easy.

#2 GerryL


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:28 AM


Australia has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with a number of countries, but the United States isn't one of them. Contact your insurance fund for information on living in another country. It may be that you need to have your tablets sent out to you every three months. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users