• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sklug

sklug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

Two things that are noted on the biopsy results are presence of abundant iron storage and reticulin shows focal mild fibrosis.  Anyone know what either of these mean?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Marrow fibrosis means there is some growth of fibrous tissue, which is a form of scar tissue, inside the pelvic cavity.  Some with CML have it at diagnosis, but the TKI drugs have shown that they usually stop this  and reverse it over time.

The iron storage levels shows that you have plenty of iron, but you need to ask your doc "how abundant" your iron stores are.  Iron is something that can become toxic if there is too much in the body.  Probably unrelated to the CML, but it should be monitiored using a Serum Ferratin Test. 

https://docs.google....uD1W_8zWT4_nWQA

#3 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

I had fibrosis at dx.  After the first BMB it could not longer be detected.  That was over 2 years ago.

Good luck and good health,

Tedsey

#4 sklug

sklug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Thank you for your responses Trey and Tedsey.  I was diagnoised with CML a year ago and this was my 3rd biopsy.  The fibrosis has now shown up until now.  I was started on 300mg Tasigna 2x day but my body could not handle the side effects, main problem is I keep getting pancreatitis, so I have been on and off the Tasigna and since December I have been on just a 1/2 dose (150mg 2x day) and my body is tolerating it quite a bit better, I still have some fatigue and intestinal issues.  I will find out today more of the results from my Dr.  I'm wondering if this fibrosis showing up now means that I am not on a high enough dose of Tasigna?  We have talked about switching to Sprycel but figured I would have the least side effects on Tasigna.  The last 3 weeks out of nowhere, I have had terrible nausea and have been feeling really fatigued, not sure what is going on.  My last biopsy was last Sept. and he told me things looked really good but I didn't get a number.  I'm going to ask for that this time.

I am going to talk to my Dr. about the fibrosis and the abundant iron storage today as well as find out the rest of the results.

Thanks again for your response.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users