11 replies to this topic

#1 cleocans

cleocans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

My oldest daughter just graduated elementary school this morning.  I am happy and sad at the same time!  They grow up so fast.  I am so thankful for our medicines  that I got to see her graduate.  I lost my mother when I was 14 and it was tough.  I do not want that for my daughters.  So here is to many more graduations that I will get to see.

Kim

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Congratulations to you and your daughter! May you see many more such moments in your life.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 momruns

momruns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thank you for posting such a nice thing, I always love reading these.

Loreta

#4 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Congratulations - that's a great moment and am really happy to read a post like this.  A toast to you for all of the graduations still coming.

Just to jump on the bandwagon with you a bit...

My oldest daughter just wrapped up her elementary school awards/graduation ceremony tonight and I was so incredibly thankful to be sitting there enjoying the moment as a healthy Dad amongst the crowd.  I even bumped into some parents that I hadn't seen in awhile and they were asking how I was doing.  It felt wonderful to tell them that I'm healthy and living life - or at least trying to.   It's only been a year, so I believe that they were expecting to see me in a very different condition a year later.  Despite some side effects and anxiety, I feel very "spared" because of the age of TKIs.

One of the Dads I know was chatting with me after the ceremony ... we're both guys who focus pretty hard on maintaining fitness.  He still can't believe that I smoked him in the school's annual 5K road race a few weeks ago.  He looked at me in good spirit and said, "Man, you were diagnosed last year with cancer, you have an injured foot, you're older than me, and you STILL beat me in the race.  Geez!" - heh heh

Before diagnosis, I would've been sitting at this ceremony watching my Blackberry, doing email and not focusing or enjoying the moment very much.  What a difference a year makes!

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#5 cleocans

cleocans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Congratulations to your daughter!!

I am just shy of a year.  It will be one year in July.  A lot of my running friends were quite amazed when I did a six hour trail run last October, 3 months after diagnosis.  I only had one good month of training for it as I had to wait for my spleen to shrink and my hemo to go up!  I don't run so much anymore but I do a lot of crossfit workouts with my husband. 

I definitely try to enjoy my moments with my girls more.   They still drive me nuts occasionally!!   

#6 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

A heartfelt congratulations.  I totally understand how you feel.  My oldest has his preschool graduation next week.  After dx, I felt caught in our family curse.  It was unreal.  My biological, and then my adoptive mother were not there to raise me.  My mother's mother died when she was young too (she was raised by her older sister).  Like you, I am grateful for the meds.  I am looking forward to my son starting Kindergarten this fall.  I was so scared I would not experience this.  Now, I have again started looking forward to the next milestone, but enjoying every minute of the wonderful life I have with my family.

Wishing you a long lifetime of celebrations with your children,

Teds

#7 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Good for you, Kim!  That's a great story about your first year ... wow, six HOUR trail run, and you had to wait for your spleen to shrink first.  My goodness; that is very intense.  Well done.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#8 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Cleocans and Dan,

Congratulations to your daughters (and the parents)!  Dan, I loved your comments about how this darned disease has changed our outlook and how we view and experience events and milestones surrounding our lives differently.  Thank you both for sharing!

Of course now that those elementary years are behind your daughters, the upcoming year begins the middle school or high school years!    That's when the fun really begins.  There is always a sports event, dance, concert, or other happening.  Get new tires and your oil changed this summer, you both are about to become a revolving taxi service that is open 24/7.    Oh, although my child is a boy, there is no wearing the same shirt/tie/outfit to different events, someone might recognize they were previously worn.  You both have girls, get ready to do some serious shopping trips, you are going to be on a first name basis with all of the trendy store clerks.  Enjoy!

Pam

#9 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Oh, cut it out!  You're going to make me cry!!!!

Here's to many more milestones for all of us. 

Traci

#10 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Hi Kim:  Thanks for sharing that with all of us.  Yes, due to all these breakthroughs in treatment of so many diseases we all get to do and see things that we did not imagine when first diagnosed.  She will keep you real busy  now at this age, and enjoy every minute of it.  Like Traci said, there will be many  more milestones ahead for everyone.

Susan

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi Kim,

Congratulations, And thanks for posting. And reminding us how very lucky we are.At dx I think we all feel like, take a pill a day and we will live a long time,was a croc. but here you are a year later,and me 5 years later, in fact all of us still alive and watching our precious loved ones making us so proud day after day. I have 2 grandsons and I enjoy every moment I spend with them. And I am so grateful for them.

You gave me a wakeup call, lately I have spent way to much time,feeling sorry for myself, because of all the petty side effects from all these meds I take. Thank you for reminding me that because of all these petty meds I'm still here to enjoy my family and friends.

I used to say there's a story attatched to every grey hair I got  from my kids, now they say the same thing too! My daughter really cracks me up, she goes around saying Oh My God, I'm turning into my mother! I must have done something right,  I love it!        Take Care    Billie

#12 olskool721

olskool721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

I hear you Kim. I missed my son's graduation from college because I was in the hospital very sick at the time. That was in 2010. Now I am planning to watch his early graduation from law school in December. I am so grateful to God to still be here. I pray and continue to fight this sickness with all my energy. Heres to someday watching your daughter graduate from college! All the best and God speed.

olskool721

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users