4 replies to this topic

#1 rmjones5278

rmjones5278

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Ok HELP!!

I am 32 years old and I was diagnosed with CML in Feb 2011 and have been on gleevec since. I am ready to start a family early next year following my wedding. I continue to get conflicting stories about the effect of cml and gleevec on male fertility. I am trying to plan ahead so things can be prepared when this time comes to start a family. some are saying oh you're fine staying on gleevec. others say you have to have 0% percent on PCR for two years and stop gleevec. I am so confused, please help with any suggestions or success stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can email at rmjones5278@hotmail.com too.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

New to CML and on Gleevac, I had an appt with Dr. Druker at OHSU this January and asked that exact question.

He said the testicles are very good at filtering things out and Gleevac was not a problem. Neither was Tasigna.

He did say Sprycel is a problem.

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for a while now and I have had several sperm count/motility tests. There has been no change in either since being on Gleevac 400mg's. The last test I had was after 8 months on Gleevac.

You should be fine!

Good Luck

#3 rmjones5278

rmjones5278

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

i have decided to get the sperm checked next week to see where i stand, i am very nervous.

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

Good luck to both of you on starting your family! And, congratulations to you "Mr. Jones" on your upcoming wedding. Just so you know, I'm requesting a new tradition be started. When members get married or have a child please post a photo! We'll start with you two! Perhaps we could do this with any major milestone; turn 16,  21, 30? Post a photo. 1st, 5th, 10th anniversary since dx? Post a photo. How great would it be to see all of those smiling faces?

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 rmjones5278

rmjones5278

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

sounds like a great idea, i just hope that is all possible. feeling a bit down about all this at the moment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users