6 replies to this topic

#1 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hallo everybody,

The pharmacy has set me up for this new technology/program  for my Tasigna in order

to keep truck of my medicine so I take them on time, basically to remind me every time when I need to take another

dosage. I haven't started using it yet since I still have some in their original packaging but also don't want to get those text

messages every time if I'm late a minute or two. They can send you a text message, e-mail or even a phone call to remind you,

whatever you tell them and whatever you prefer. This new system is supported by AT&t I think and it works wirelessly.

Just wonder if any of you has started using it yet and if so do you like it?

Ohh one more thing, since they enrolled me in this program now my Tasigna comes in a regular bottles and where I live

its very hot right now so when they were delivered yesterday the bottles were kind of hot, so I hope the heat hasn't destroyed the effectiveness

of the medicine.

Thanks everybody!

Dina

#2 janne

janne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Dina, Haven't heard of the new packaging...no more blister packs ? And if that is directly related to the "reminder" program, it is somewhat odd..."Ok since we are spending extra on the program to remind you to take your pills, we are cutting back on the packaging so your pills are hot..." I have had three different specialty pharmacies since I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago and all of them packaged the drug in a cooler during the warmer months. I would be somewhat concerned about the efficacy of your drug being delivered in that manner. I wonder if a call to the pharmacy might help.....they may not be aware of the climate differences between your house and their pharmacy !!!! Not cool ....! (Literally.) My shipment of Tasigna comes next week...will see if they come in blister packs or hot bottles !

Janne

Dx'd: 8/2008. Started Gleevec 400 mg 11/08. 

Drug break 2011.

Started Tasigna 4/11 450 mg.

Reduction to 300 mg Tasigna 1/2012.

PCRU 9/2012.

12/2012 Detectable.

PCRU 4/2013 through 3/2015. (Reduced to 150 mg 7/2014)

12/2015  ? slightly detectable at probably less than 0.01% per Mayo Clinic.

4/2016 PCRU. Still at 150 mg Tasigna.

CESSATION: stopped treatment 7/20/2017. 

9/6/2017:  barely detectable at 0.01%. 

12/11/2017: PCR at 0.09% (did not do the monthly PCR testing.) 

12/18/2017: Inevitable call from Onc. Started back on Tasigna at 150 mg. (Considering Sprycel low dose.) 

#3 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi Janne,

Yeah no more blister packs, they transfer them into bottles now so I can attach that glow cap on them.

I called the pharmacy and they told me that they can stand up the heat up to 86F and if they look fine then they

are probably fine, but I still question that.

#4 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi everyone!

I hate to butt-in on your conversation - but is this for all TKIs? I take Sprycel and I dont recall reading anything saying it needed to be kept cool. I mean, I dont keep it on the windowsill but I was just wondering if I need to pay more attention to that?

Jean

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Jean,

They are talking about delivery,  Depending on what part of the world you live in and where it is being shipped from.  It could be very hot in that air plane or the UPS Truck.  I live in Indiana, and although our state is known for its unpredictable  weather, it can be above 90 degrees in the summer.  That is much to hot to ship the TKI'S, unless it is boxed in a cooler type box with ice and the bottle is in a bubble wrap.

Once you have received it keep it in room temperature.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#6 JMGrad

JMGrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thank you so much PamSouth!  I will have to pay a little more attention to where I ask the UPS people to leave box.

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

JM, I sign for my Gleevec, otherwise if it is lost or stolen I am responsible for it.

As long as your med are in a cooler, you will be OK, unless you live where it is cold and it is being shipped from where it is cold.  You don't want the medicine out in the hot weather or on hot trucks or hot baggage planes.

PamSouth

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users