#1 mscl

mscl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSalina KS

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

When I was diagnosed in February, I spent three days in the hospital after a BMB on the first day. I'm doing very well on Sprycel.  My onc said he would do another BMB at six-months and one-year post-diagnosis.   I like to plan my work duties somewhat in advance.  How long can I expect to be off work?  Does it typically require a hospital stay?

Dx 2/10/12.
Sprycel 100. mg.
10/2015, Pleural effusions, both sides, about a 3-4 week break in Rx, reduced to 70 mg.
PEs, weren't completely gone, started building back up, about a 6-8 week break in Rx.
01/2016, Reduced to sprycel 50 mg.
10/2016, developed severe skin rash, mainly upper arms and upper legs, smaller rashes on lower arms, lower legs, upper back/neck. Rx break of about 6 weeks.
1/25/17, reduced to Sprycel 20 mg.
7/19/17, still at 20 mg Sprycel, undetectable.
11/9/17, 20 mg Sprycel, undetectable.

#2 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

mscl,

I have had two so far, both outpatient.  I have returned to work the following day.  I was sedated for each of them and following the procedure, went home and took a nap.  It was a little sore for a few days but not too bad.  My oncologist do it on site without sedation but I opt to go to a outpatient clinic where they can sedate me.

Good luck,

Nat

#3 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

How sore were you after your last BMB?  It's different for everyone, but I had my BMB at the dr's office, drove home, and took Motrin before I went to bed for three nights.  It was no worse than having a cavity filled.

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Wow, what a nice thought - to be off work for a BMB! I have it done under conscious sedation so I am off the day of the test. Many people on here have said they go back to work right after the test. Far more dedicated than I, I would take as much time off as I could finagle, but that's just me!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi  I have no clue why you spent three days in a hospital after a BMB.  Was there another issue? I have had BMB right in the doctors office with no sedation, and then traveled a long distance back home.  When I worked, I had a BMB with the next day at home due to soreness then back to work.  I have never heard of anyone having to recover so long after a BMB.  I know some people cannot tolerate the pain and soreness afterward, therefore, it depends on the person.

Were there other circumstances that you were in the hospital?   When I had my BMB in the hospital, it was done as a outpatient.  As soon as the sedation would wear off, I was released to go home.  Naturally I had my husband with me, and I did not drive.  I do admit that I was sore for over a week just to lay on the area, or be in a sitting position for too long.

#6 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

I've only had one BMB, and it was during my initial two day stay in the hospital upon diagnosis.  My understanding is that'll all be outpatient procedures from here on out.

I also have a question regarding bone marrow biopsies.  What kind of painkillers do you normally receive during a BMB?  Are they the kind that you can drive home with under the influence, or stronger stuff where you would require that somebody drive you home?  They gave me morphine through an IV when I had mine.

#7 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

My BMB at diagnosis took all of 20 minutes max at an infusion center, and I walked out the door with my wife after recovering from the mild sedation I received beforehand (more because of my anxiety with the situation rather than the pain).  I was back at work by lunch, and I went for a 3 mile run the next morning (albeit, with a mildly sore back). If they do it right, you shouldn't have any issues at all...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#8 mscl

mscl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSalina KS

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

I was sore for a few days, but had a WBC of 330K so they really had to dig hard because it was son compacted they said.

Dx 2/10/12.
Sprycel 100. mg.
10/2015, Pleural effusions, both sides, about a 3-4 week break in Rx, reduced to 70 mg.
PEs, weren't completely gone, started building back up, about a 6-8 week break in Rx.
10/2016, developed severe skin rash, mainly upper arms and upper legs, smaller rashes on lower arms, lower legs, upper back/neck. Rx break of about 6 weeks.

#9 mscl

mscl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSalina KS

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

My red count was very low and had a transfusion as well.

Dx 2/10/12.
Sprycel 100. mg.

#10 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

HI:  I used to get my BMB at the hospital as outpatient, and they would give me Lidocaine along with Versed for Conscious Sedation.   I could still feel the pain.  I was so dopey, but the doctor said I yelled out to him that I could still feel pain so give me more.  So he added Demerol to my IV, and then I was good to go for the rest of the procedure. I never remembered yelling at him. From that point on he always added the Demerol to my IV.  It took awhile for the sedation to wear off, and then my husband would drive me home.  I would sleep for hours after I came home, and then I would feel fine later on.

#11 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

HI:  Reading your answers I can see there was more involved with your being in the hospital.  I knew it had to be more than a routine BMB.  I hope your doing okay now.

#12 mscl

mscl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSalina KS

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

I am doing well and feeling great.  Onc said he thinks I have had CML for three years. I hadn't had blood work and really didn't feel bad except for a lot of heartburn. It was my spleen pushing up causing that.  I feel very fortunate to be having no side effects (knock on wood here). 

Dx 2/10/12.
Sprycel 100. mg.

#13 mscl

mscl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSalina KS

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

I was in such an emotional state of shock during the first one, I thought it was just a local anesthetic for the procedure, but not real sure.  Then lortabs for a few days after.

Dx 2/10/12.
Sprycel 100. mg.

#14 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi:  What treatment are you on now that they confirmed it is CML?  Unfortunately, this is how they find our CML, its usually some other problem that makes them find the CML.  With me it was just a routine blood test which is also a very common way its found.  Glad your feeling good. Once they find it, and get you started you do feel better as your counts come back to normal.

#15 mscl

mscl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSalina KS

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

100 mg Sprycel.  My onc is very pleased with my response to it so far. Blood counts are back to normal ranges already.

Dx 2/10/12.
Sprycel 100. mg.

#16 cleocans

cleocans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

I had my BMB on site at my cancer center.  My onc. at the time just used lidocaine to numb the area and the bone.  The first time he tried to go in with the aspiration needle I could still feel it.  So he put more lidocaine into my bone.  He tried for an aspirate but could get nothing.  So he had to bring out the big needle for a core sample.  I have strong bones so it took a lot of effort on his part to get it. I got up and got dressed as soon as they left the room.  The nurse was surprised I was leaving so soon.  Drove home.  For the first day and a half I was good.  Then some pain started so I took advil.  But I also swelled up really bad.  About the size of a softball.  I could get around and all but when I sat down I had to sit at the front of the chairs so I didn't bump the site.  I also had to sleep on the couch so I wouldn't roll over on it.  I took a couple of weeks before my swelling went down.  It was not a fun experience for me!

#17 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Two BMB's both done with just a local and I drove myself home. The last one took about 40 minutes, Dr. said my marrow was as thick as cement. But I played golf the next day.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#18 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

I took an annual leave day to have the BMB done in the morning.  Rode the motorcycle there and back.  Went to work the next day.  BMBs are different for each person, but I certainly didn't need to take any additional time off of work.

Marnie

#19 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

wow! that is what I am talking about I endured 15 to 20 min of pure torture, wake and so called enough local anesthesia, that felt like it was not even deaden, and I told my doctor and nurse, the next time, he would have to sedate me.

#20 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Susan61 it took me about a week to be fully recover from my BMB, and it was so painful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users