Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Recently published in Oncology Times:

http://journals.lww....ible_for.4.aspx

Jorge Cortes, MD, Professor of Medicine and Chief of the CML Section in the Department of Leukemia of the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, commented: "Stopping TKI therapy is an attractive concept with important consequences for patients, but if I was a CML patient on a TKI, I would never let the doctor take away the drug. Why take chances? Most of my patients have been on therapy for seven or eight years and are stable. I discuss this three or four times a day in the clinic, but only a handful decide to stop TKIs."

"No one knows why some patients who achieve CMR relapse, he continued. "There must be something else involved— perhaps differences in the immune system or the biology of the disease. Once we learn that, then stopping therapy becomes more attractive." He added that stopping TKI therapy "should be done only with close monitoring. If the patient relapses, we want to know quickly."

JORGE CORTES, MD: St...

Image Tools

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

So scub,

You still wana stop if you achieve CMR ?? base on the dr.. it is not recommended...

#3 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Absolutely - yes.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#4 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

Other articles about  STIM - STop  IMatinib

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

A thought that keeps popping up in my head.  I understand that 90 % of people with CML have the ph+ which means that not everyone that has CML has the BCR/ABL.  Therefore if the TKI's only kill the PH+ then you still have CML.  Therefore .... ???

I also understand the FISH and PCR test only check for the bcr/abl.  I know I'm at the pointing of  sounding redundant. I'm trying to look for the right language/words.  So if you were to kill all the BCR/ABLE but still have the ancient CML stem cell that produced the bcr/able, then until you find a drug that kills the CML Stem Cell at the top level where the bone marrow produces this defective stem cells, I'm still rambling here.  Then this ancient stem cell creates a protective environment. Well then in conclusion; there is forever a chance of PH+. 

Moving on to next question/thoughts.  If you were to kill all the PH+ except you still have  the Ancient CML stem cells, but no PH+ , what kind of problems does CML stem cell without the PH+ cause, (that is if you were cured of the PH+.)  Perhaps a better way to ask the question,  for people who have CML but not PH+ what are there health issues?

Sorry I am being redundant, but just trying to get my thoughts across. 

PamSouth

PamSouth

#6 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

I have not ever heard of PH Negative CML.  It may have changed in 6 years or so we've been dealing with this, but I don't think a diagnosis was confirmed until PH + test result.

rct

#7 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

This sounds really promising.  I can't wait to see how this plays out over the next few years.  I'm not even CCyR yet, so it'll be a while before I'm eligible for something like this.  A person might actually be cured of CML, and this is the only way to really find out, am I right?  It appears so far that absolutely everybody responds to the re-introduction of their TKI after relapse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users