• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CathyS

CathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

When dx 8/4/11 I started on Sprycel but had to stop due to PE. (It was really hard to breath). I recently started Tasigna first with 400mg 2 x a day, I did not feel good at all the first week. Reduced the dose to 200mg 2 x a day. Waited for new delivery of 300mg 2 s a day just started this last Friday..

Even when I was still on the 200mg I started with some very painful Hemmorrhoids. I have tried all the home remedies sitting in a tub, tucks, Preparation H. still really painful. Has anyone else experienced this with any of the TKI's and does anyone have any other suggestions on how to treat this?

I appreciate reading what everyone writes on this site, it has been very helpful for me. I don't post a lot just to tired most of the time.

Cathy

#2 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Unfortunately yes. I got them orginally when I had a baby 16 years ago, and then they came back with CML. It has more to do with my irritable bowel then CML. The only thing that works for me is soaking in a hot bath with no bubbles or anything, those just sting the area more. I do carry the cream just in case I need something quick to sooth but it does not last long. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#3 CindyS

CindyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm on 400mg Gleevec and have had hemorrhoid issues too.  I had them with my second pregnancy and they flared up again with the GI issues I've had with Gleevec.  I use Preparation H with Cortisone and take warm baths which helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.  I haven't talked to the doctor about them yet because it's not a daily problem for me, mostly just on the bad GI days so I just put up with it.  I figure it's part of my "new normal".

Cindy

#4 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm assuming this is due to the incredible constipation that Tasigna causes some--myself included!  I don't think I have external hemorrhoids, but probably internal ones because when the constipation is very bad and I don't pay attention to my water/fiber intake, they will bleed after a couple of difficult bowel movements. 

As for hemorroids themselves I haven't found a whole lot that works for me, but for prevention, good fluid and fiber intake is key, but also I take a powder magnesium supplement every so often--especially when things get rough--that helps keep things moving along.

#5 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yes, must be brief, low battery.

Sitz bath twice a day if you can manage it. Get the sitz bath, don't just use tub. Makes a difference.

Hemorrhoid cushion aka "butt pillow". Takes the pressure off.

Sennokot and colace to keep BMS less painful.

Prep H cream to soothe, tucks to clean.

if really bad, see a doctor. Sometimes a nerve or vein runs right across it and can be very painful. Some people have to get surgery to get relief.

Traci

#6 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Dr Oz to the rescue.  On one of his show he recommended Fleet Enema Saline, I tried it and it really does work.  it breaks up the stool so you can easily pass it.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Oh that dreaded hemorrhoid situation!  I have been fighting them since the birth of my son 17 years ago, but admit since the CML and the TKI drugs, they have really resurfaced.  I have considered the surgery to remove, but so far I pretend they are not as bad as the doctor states they are.

This may sound a bit bizarre, but my home remedy includes Rawleigh Medicated Ointment. I have been using this for about 15 years..  It is similar to Vicks, but I think it is more effective.  It provides immediate relief and by the following day using the product about 4 times per day it reduces the swelling and pain completely.  Whatever remedy you decide to use, best of luck, those darn things are not only annoying, they are downright uncomfortable and painful! 

Pam

#8 CathyS

CathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks to all who gave me some suggestions.

CMLsurvior - I also had hemorrhoids when I had my kids many years ago the girls are now 38, 40 and my son would be 43 (my son was 4 when he died, he had AML 39 years ago).

CindyS - I hope it's not my new normal.

Taylor  -the thing is I have not been constipated that's why I was wondering if the TKI's cause this.

pammartin - I have a question about the Rawleigh Medicated Ointment when you said it's like Vick's I think that Vick's would sting or be hot. Does the Rawleigh have that same kind of feeling?

Happycat - I will also look into the sitz bath thing because all I do now is sit in the tub when I can. I can't wait to get home from work, the first thing I do is fill the tub with a couple of inches of clear water and sit a few minutes.

Again thanks for all the info for this and all the other things I read on this site.

#9 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

The Vicks does sting, at least for me the Rawleigh ointment does not sting.  I also use it for cracked fingers in the winter months, brush burns, just a host of things.  I have never had an experience where the feeling was uncomfortable, instead I suppose a bit of a warming effect, but never burning.  If your skin is sensitive, (mine is not) I would use caution, never thought of that angle, thanks for bringing it up, important point for some people. 

#10 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hi Cathy:  I am just reading all the responses to use to treat Hemorrhoids.  The best thing is to avoid constipation, because if you have internal or external hemorrhoids you will have a problem.  The sitz bath is excellent, plus using the tucks etc.  I have had bad issues with the bleeding hemorrhoids through the years, and as long as I do not get constipated which a lot of my medications cause then I do not have any bleeding or enlargement of the hemorrhoids at all.  Use Benefiber or any of the other things like Metamucil if you need to.  Sometimes certain foods can cause bad constipation also.  You just have to learn what works for you.  In my case I have to avoid any type of a hard cheese, as that always gives me a problem.  I try to eat Oatmeal also.

I saw a doctor a few years ago for the Hemorrhoids when they were real bad, and he insisted that I needed to have surgery.  I said I am going through enough right now, and I will wait.  I started to do all the things I just mentioned, and I have to say I am fine with that problem now. Hope you find what works for you.  Even if you get it under control, you will still have some flare-ups.

#11 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Great advice Susan, natural ways to handle the hemorrhoid problem!

#12 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

I will second Susan on avoiding particular foods. I can't eat popcorn. Those kernel shells are akin to passing broken glass. Rips my hemorrhoids open. If you can figure out the foods that make yours worse, it would be helpful.

Sitz bath actual opens up the butt cheeks a bit and gets more water in there. I sometimes add a little baking soda, too.

Traci

#13 CathyS

CathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks Susan

The only problem is I have not had any constipation on either Sprycel or Tasigna.

That's why I was wondering if the TKI's cause hemorrids.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Cathy

#14 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi Cathy:  You do not necessarily have to be constipated.  I only listed that as the most common cause.  Hemorrhoids are dilated veins in the anal area, and when they fill with a lot of blood and you become constipated the pressure of having a bowel movement will make them bleed sometimes.  It is a swelling that can be caused by any type of pressure.  They can make them come out if your lfting heavy objects.  There are so many causes for them to act up, and I do not think they have anything to do with TKI's.  Sometimes they act up after a pregnancy and delivery.

Don't worry about them, just find out what helps them for you.  Your getting a lot of suggestions.

Years ago when the elderly people had flare ups of hemorrhoids, they would say Oh my Piles hurt.  The term

Piles was common many years ago instead of hemorrhoids.  How many remember that?  I can remember my grandmother always saying not to sit on cold stone like our front porch or you will get piles.  I never knew what she was talking about.

I just hope you get some relief soon.  If your prone to them, it seems like they will swell up on you at different times.

#15 idahobeavers

idahobeavers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

something i have found that is really helpful is witch hazel.keep it in the fridge ,take it with u to the bathroom after u r clean apply with cotton ball this is how i spell relief W I T C H H A Z E L.u can also get it in pad form. but the coolness of the cold witch hazel feels really good and it also will help shrink them

#16 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

Sarah, Witch Hazel is another great idea.  I haven't used it in years, but I used to use it for many things.  It also does great with cracked hands and fingers.  Awesome suggestion.

#17 CathyS

CathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Susan

I do remember my Mom and Grandmother talking about "the piles" I guess I am them now, oh my!

I am feeling better today.

Thank you

Cathy S

#18 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hi Cathy:  Glad your getting some relief.  They can bother you sometimes for over a week, and then once they start to shrink you start feeling better.  Like everyone said, just pinpoint what makes them flare up for you.  I still hold true to the fact that you have to avoid Constipation.  When  your having a problem with your bowel movements, the pressure that you put on those veins is what causes the flare-ups.

The best thing is that its something you can learn to live with. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users