So mercury is one of the most toxic metals known -- even more toxic than
lead, second to plutonium. And while there is no "conclusive"
evidence that the mercury from fillings causes any particular health problems,
there are a number of studies that imply such a relationship. There is strong
evidence that mercury lowers T-cell (white blood cells) counts. A number of
studies have shown removing amalgam fillings can cause T-cell counts to rise
anywhere from 50 to 300 percent. This, alone, implicates amalgam fillings in
cancer, autoimmune diseases, allergies, Candida overgrowth, and multiple
sclerosis (mercury levels in MS patients are, on average, 7.5 times higher than
normal). In fact, there have been several studies that have shown that white
blood cell abnormalities, such as found in leukemia patients, tend to normalize
when amalgam fillings are removed.
It has also been shown that mercury interferes with the ability of the blood to carry oxygen --
actually cutting its oxygen-carrying capabilities by half. This would account
for many instances of chronic fatigue syndrome. Mercury also has an affinity
for our brains and, as already mentioned, is implicated in brain tumors and
dementia. The famous "mad hatters" of England were actually hat
makers who worked with mercury and eventually went insane. Finally, mercury has
an affinity for fetal tissue -- reaching higher levels in the fetus than in the
mother herself -- which accounts for mercury's implication in birth defects. ''