• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gmreaves

gmreaves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm a little concerned about some test results I received today.  My doctor has mentioned the last few visits that my liver counts are high.  At the time I just figured it wasn't a big deal but now its been that way for 3 or 4 months.  I'm currently am on sprycel and my AST(SGOT) was last measured at 53 U/L (normal range is 15-41) and my ALT (SGPT) is at 70 U/L (normal range is 13-48).  I don't rarely freak out about my condition but this is getting to me.  I left a message with my dr to call me back but in the meantime I figured I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this with sprycel or know if its something to be seriously considered with. 

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

I can see how this would upset you. I was told the docs don't get too concerned unless the results are over 100. That said, I noticed 8 months after starting Gleevec (in 2009) that my ALT was 80 and my AST was 50. We made a note to watch them and 3 weeks later at my Mayo appt. the AST was 500+ and my ALT was 1200+. That got their attention and I was taken off Gleevec immediately. The highest point was 3 weeks after that with both counts around 1400. After 7 weeks they were back in the normal range and I started Sprycel, they've been rock solid ever since.

I never felt bad and an abdominal ultrasound didn't show anything unusual going on with my liver but the G had obviously seriously pissed it off.

So moral of the story, don't freak out, they will very likely settle down again, Sprycel isn't known to affect the liver like Gleevec (and Tasigna) can, but have your counts checked every couple of weeks for awhile to see what the trend is.

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi there, I'm on Gleevec (13 months) &  my AST & ALT have regularly been in this range. I think docs only really worry about these when they hit at least 3 digits. My doc just comments and moves on, kind of the same way you comment about the weather and then move on.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#4 gmreaves

gmreaves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Oh that makes me feel so much better. lol.  I'm reading all this crap on the internet about possible liver failure and was freaking out. Thanks for the feed back Pat!

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

I can only provide my personal experience, but since last year my liver enzymes have been higher than the normal range.  They were quite a bit higher while I was on the 140 mg. of Sprycel, but now they are just a bit above the normal range since I have been reduced to the 100 mg again.  If my understanding is correct, the Sprycel can play havoc on the liver and kidneys in some people and situations.  Because my enzymes have leveled out a bit, they will be redoing labs every other month to make sure they do not begin raising again, but for now they are ok.  I see you have already had members giving you sound advice, that is one of the great concepts of this board, many have 'been there done that' or know the answer to our questions.  Best of luck!

Pam

#6 gmreaves

gmreaves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the response Pam.  I'm glad I discovered this board today.  Wish I had known about it the last two years since being diagnosed.  Very helpful to communicate with others in similar situations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users