#1 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have a question about the time frame from when blood is drawn to the time it is processed.  From the beginning, the oncologist I am seeing has made it a point to recommend I use the lab that is associated with the cancer center.  The issue is with bi-weekly and even weekly labs the cost of travel is not easy to absorb, add in the co-pays for office visits and the beginning of the year hit for major medical expenses, you all have either been there or are presently living this life, so further explanation is unnecessary.  In December, I began using a lab that is associated with my pcp, only 15 miles one way instead of close to 50 miles one way.  Today I arrived for labs a bit later in the day, I usually go first thing in the morning, and have the results by the afternoon.  I am guessing it was around 1 p.m., I called around 4 p.m. and the blood drawn was still sitting in a holding place waiting for the courier to take it to the hospital.  I was told it would head to lab shortly and the results would be ready tomorrow.  Unknown to me, the morning draws also sit for a number of hours before transport.

After all the excess info above, my question is simple, how important is the time blood sits before processing when reviewing results?  I do realize jumping back and forth to different labs is non-productive, but now I question if my cost effective measures when using a lab closer to home may interfere with actual results, one thing I have learned is very important with this disease.

Any advice, comments, past threads, or information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pam

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi Pam,

I get my bw done at acl lab which is close to my house, rather then go 10 miles to the cc center. When I get my bcr-abl bw done I have to have it done by Thursday because that blood can't sit for more than 6 hours I was told. But for my regular monthly bw I go anytime mon-fri. I had my bw done down here on Jan 18, so I have to get it done again tomorrow. If I were you,because you're not normal, I say that lovingly, just call your oncs office and ask them if it makes a difference. I doubt it but if you go 50 miles for lab work you probably just get your results sooner. It's probably only a matter of 12 hours or so by the time they get your nos. 50 miles away. Go easy on yourself.  Did you call you're pcp today about your cold? If not I'm going to tell Bob and Nick to get on your case. yeah I will.  Ron got stung by a jellyfish today, time to go home! Yeaaa!  Luckily he didn't have an allergic reaction, but I think he'll be hobbling around for a few days. I have benedryl and cortisone on hand if he needs it. Two weeks ago at the Pro Bass Shop I bought him a jellyfish&sea lice(whatever they are) repellent he laughed at me. Tough Guy huh? That's the first thing he grabbed when he came back from the beach. DuH!  He's been in the sun to long. Oh I went to the Harley Davidson shop in Ft.Meyers on Saturday to get some T-shirts for my son. They were having a rally that day, and you should have seen the bikes WOW. I was impressed I don't like choppers but these were the new bikes beautiful. We like Honda the Gold Wings are beautiful. We have a Honda VTX 1800  It's a beautiful bike and we just paid it off. We can't afford a Gold Wing and eat too. Oh to be 20 years younger and be able to work 2 jobs!  I found myself looking at those scooters in the aarp magazine. I threw that sucker out right away. I live in a 1 story ranch house I hope I never need a scooter it won't fit.  Take Care lol Billie

That e-mail was awesome I can't wait to show it to my grandsons.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

It is important only for PCRs.

#4 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Trey, thank you, it is comforting to know my results will be correct even if the blood is held for a while.  Billie, oh my gosh, jelly fish stings hurt like the dickens!  I feel badly for your husband, although am thinking he will start applying the repellent from now on.  I have to look up what sea lice are, I have never heard of these creatures, my next stop is to research the critters.  I used to attend bike week in Daytona every year, always had a great time, my son grounded me and except for a quick stop for spiced shrimp, I have not enjoyed a bike week celebration in 17 years.  I keep telling him when he graduates and moves out that is on my list to do.  I loved looking at the bikes, seeing all the interesting people, and enjoying the event.  I used to have a FLHTC, electra glide ultra classic, she was a beauty, too big for me in reality, but gosh I loved to ride.  Today I would be happy with a sportster or softtail, love the leather bags on the softtail.  For you it was bike or eat, for me it was child or bike, yeah Nick won me over.    I haven't called the dr. I am starting to feel better, starting to have energy again, and I go to oncologist on Thursday, so I figured I would bug him if I needed antibiotic, but don't think I will.  Twenty years younger and two jobs, geez I remember those days, I fear they are long gone for me.  These days it is roll out of bed, stagger down the stairs, make the bed, read up the house, hang out on the couch for a bit, then dinner, and back to the couch.  Heck, I think I just depressed myself!  What an exciting life I am leading right now! Hurry home, can't wait to start on our adventure.  Glad you liked the ice sculptures, I thought it was georgous when the lights were on at night.

#5 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi Pam M.

DON'T FORGET ME , I'm coming on the quest too. Pam, how were your last blood tests?

Judy

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hi, Billie. . .As I'm sure you know, the best known, quick-fix remedy for jelly fish stings is to pee on the affected area.  Did you pee on Ron?  When we were sea kayaking down in Baja Mexico, we went for a swim and a bunch of us ended up swimming into a swarm of jelly fish.  I got one tangled around my snorkling mask and my ear.  Yowch!  Fortunatly, no one tried to pee on my head.  Not sure that anyone had that kind of range. 

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Judy,

Of course you are coming, I need someone to keep poking me with a cattle prod to keep moving!  I didn't call about labs, oncologist appointment on Thursday, so I figured I would just wait and get copy while I was there.  I will let you know after appointment. 

#8 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Marnie,

I read that pee thingy before, but when I was down in Daytona one time a local said that didn't work.  The couple was pretty cool, they said that old wives tale came from a drunken night and a few so called friends of a jellyfish victim.  If memory serves, we spent several hours discussing tales over many beverages.

#9 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yep. . .I knew that and don't subscribe to old wives' tales. . .but I could never pass up an opportunity to give Billie a hard time!

#10 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

LOL!  I honestly didn't know, over the years I have read several books that noted the pee on jellyfish sting concept as well as people who swear by it.  Am thinking they must have been the pee-ers, instead of the pee-ees. 

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi Marnie,

It's a wonder you lived long enough to get cml. I refused to pee on the bottom of Rons foot. I'd probably get in some crazy position and my back would go out. Are you finally over your cold? That lasted a long time you should have called your doc, Now that you're older you have to take better care of yourself

lol Billie

#12 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi Pam&Judy,

It would be a whole lot easier if he peed on himself! I can just picture him or anybody sitting on the beach trying to pee on the bottom of their foot. (but officer I was told to do this!)  He went back in the water again today. I think he has ptsd from being around me so long.

lol Billie

#13 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Billie, You always bring a smile to my face.  Now for more news. Billie, Judy, It is a huge deal in my life, a small deal for the people around me, and an insignificant deal to the outside world, BUT........on the left side of my head close to the hairline I have at least twenty brand new hairs popping out to say hello.  I would say they are less than 1/16 of an inch, but they are there, they are growing, and I am more excited than the fact it is margarita day on a national level!  Woo Hoo!

#14 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi Pam M.,

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW HAIR GROWTH and hoping for many more!!!  It is a big deal for us girls. BTW, do you still have  your horn (your head is very busy)? Also, don't forget to tell us what your blood test results are when you get them tomorrow. I'm wishing you great results. Wouldn't that be fantastic, new hair. less side effects and great blood work!!!

Judy

#15 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hey Judy,

Did you get that nap in after your phone settled down and stopped ringing?

#16 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hi Pam,

It was great talking to you today, I really enjoyed it. I am so glad your blood work looked good, just keep an eye on the liver tests, don't forget to call you onc. and ask him for a copy of those results. I do think your blood work will level off and stay at a good level but remember, I am here if  you need me, if you should feel anxious or just need someone to talk to. I didn't end up taking a nap, I ended up cleaning my house, after all there is only so long I can play the leukemia card for, at some point I do need to accomplish something.

Judy

P.S. I was just reading this post before I sent it, I wasn't even touching any keys and proxy error popped up, what is with that?

#17 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

Porxy error ghoul.  He haunts the keyboard waiting to strike.

#18 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

*proxy*  see, he got me again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users