Photo

Oh how I wish one of these findings would turn into something real (guess I'll go get some fish oil - it can't hurt)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Gary,

In my reading of the reports on the Penn State research - the compound that is derived from fish oil is, in fact, a metabolite of fish oil. In other words, our bodies make this compound during the fish oil metabolism process and so eating Fish Oil will put this compound into your body. What is unique and apparently "patentable", is the pharmaceutical manufacture of the metabolite in large quantity that would be needed in order to combat CML. It works in mice apparently.

Like many mouse models - way too early to tell, but it is exciting that focus in CML research is moving towards the stem cells and their eradication.

I only just started taking Fish oil omega-3 to help in the bio-absorption of Curcumin. Who knows - maybe it will have a synergistic affect.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#22 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Scuba: On the Norwegian question, we have ca 4,8 million people here in Norway, and 30 people get CML each year.

People in the north of Norway tend to eat more fish than the rest of us, but i havent seen any statistics on which regions have the most CML cases. I myself did not like fish very well, so i have not eaten a lot of it through the years unfortunately, even though i now eat fish at least 2 times pr week.

#23 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

CML is a genetic accident, not a result of some deficiency.  Eating more or less fish or anything else has nothing to do with it.  But some things such as fish oil may (possibly) help with some side effects of the drug.

By the way, people in India eat a lot of curcumin, but get CML as often as the rest of the world. 

#24 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi TeddyB,

Trey's right about CML, the body produces a mutant cell and for some reason decides to keep replicating it.

I have been taking fish oil tablets about 10 years and it didn't prevent me from getting CML.

If you're having fish at least twice a week (and hopefully it is an oily fish) then you don't need to take fish oil tablets.

#25 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Trey, GerryL: Of course you are right, i just thought id try to obtain some numbers for Scuba, and as a curiosity to myself.

My Onc on dx also pointed out that it didnt matter about my eating habits, and that i just was unlucky with the health cards ive been dealt.

#26 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi Trey,

When you say CML is a genetic accident, what does it mean exactly?

Does it mean that CML is a just random rare disease that we were just SO unlucky to get it

and we have not done absolutely nothing wrong with our diet, life style, too much stress etc..etc. ?

We still don't know what causes CML but really once we get it its not that important anymore

how did we get it right (according to my doctor)?, so what we need to do is we need to concentrate on our treatment and recovery, but what I have always question

is why there is no more research going on by these great scientist on what really is causing that genetic accident, maybe we are still exposed to 

something that has caused it at the first place, maybe once that is understood, cure might come sooner.

Just saying.

I really appreciate your knowledge about CML.

Thanks!!

Dina

#27 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

At the most basic level, CML is a genetic accident because it is a disease best characterized by the phrase "sh1t happens".  It is sh1t, and it happens.  Randomly.  To all types of people.  Health nuts, couch potatoes, hammock tomatoes, runners, sitters, stressed-out people, sanguine people, geniuses, idiots, rich people, derelicts, people who take vitamins, people who only eat Slim Jims, whiskey drinkers, teetotalers, curcumin shakers, donut bakers, star-gazers, belly-button fixators, geezers, infants, radiated people, never been to a doctor people, Type A people, Type Z people, slim people, can't do the BMB because the arse is too fat people, and anyone else who is a people.  Just people going along in life and minding their own business.  Then sh1t happens.  Randomly.  It is not worth a nano-second trying to figure out who or what to blame, especially trying to figure out how to blame yourself.  It is sh1t, and it happened.  Genetic accident in the pants.  A pants-fillng genetic blow-out.

At the more scholarly level:

http://community.lls.org/docs/DOC-1272

#28 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

I dont think I found myself among those people ahhahaha

and I still got it lol just kidding.

I know Trey, you are so right I need to stop blaming myslef.

Thanks

#29 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

HI:  I have not gotten in on this whole discussion, but I feel if any of this worked that we would have seen a cure by now.  I know I have never been one for vitamins, and maybe thats not a good thing.  This past year I did see that the Fish Oil brought down my Triglycerides which  I had posted, and taking 1 Vitamin D 1000mg a day has brought my Vitamin D almost back in the normal range.

There is a discussion going on at another website, which I have to go back and read more throughly.  The question that was brought up was that there is proof that animals with Leukemia can pass it onto humans like with Milk and Beef Products.  I think they were referring to Raw Milk, but then again I can remember my grandmother bringing the pail of milk up from the barn still warm from the cow.  She raised her 13 children drinking this stuff.  I have to say when I stayed there for vacation I would not drink it, and maybe thats why I do not like milk to this day unless it has chocolate syrup in it. 

We could make ourselves crazy trying to figure out every little thing we hear.  I do hope that the research is still going strong to get to a real cure.

Susan

#30 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

New video     Cancer: Is it time for The Other Narratives

Other links:  Can dandelions kill cancer?

Possible cure for CML in Fish Oil

Feverfew extract (parthenolide)                
                    Cure possible for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia      

#31 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi Gilles:

These articles have been around for awhile now.  They found out years ago how the Dandelion/Feverfew can kill the root of the cell which is what we are looking for, but apparently they have not been able to make a compound that would be safe for our consumption.  I do not know what the latest is on all of that.   I have a friend who eats Dandelion Salad.  She said her Grandmother used to prepare it.  No idea how they make it, but I am not ready to eat it myself.

I wonder if any people who live in the country grew up on stuff like this.  My friend grew up on a farm, and they ate all kinds of things. She used to come into work with her lunch all prepared, and I had to ask what she was eating.  The day she told me she had Squirrel Pot Pie for lunch did it for me.  There were still pellets inside from when it was shot, and she would just spit out the pellets.  She is probably healthier than any of us.

Susan

#32 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hi Susan,

For now, these articles give us a little hope. However, it seems to be a lot of natural products that kill leukemic stem cells in mice. Unfortunately, with testing on mice, medical science moves very slowly. New technologies in stem cells promise to soon create human organs. In a near future, it may be also possible to create an artificial human bone marrow on which we can do tests for CML.

Sincerely,

Gilles

PS. Who knows! Squirrel pie may be healthier than ice cream!

#33 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

PhilB's pet squirrel, Herodutus, aka Jive Genius,  eschews squirrel pie as the "crass cravings of underdeveloped humans with inferior DNA, more similar to mice than any other animal".  As you can plainly see, Herodutus has exquisite taste in beverages and the finer things in life.   I don't believe he takes any supplements, from what I know, nor does he have any use for fish oil, feverfew, or dandelions.  He did appear to have a bit of a gas problem on this day, as shown by hiking of his left leg, probably brought on by the ice cream. 

drunksquir.jpg

PhilB's Pet Squirrel 

(aka "Jive Genius")

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users