• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dina

Dina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Anyway my friends I ended up in the hospital over the weekend, I had some weird symptoms, like blurred vision in my left eye,( I couldn't see the whole picture for a short time)

followed with left hand numbness, mu husband got scared and took me to the hospital, they run all kinds of tests and luckily all turned out to be normal,

they said it must have been just anxiety since I was recently diagnosed with a massive diagnosis or dehydration, that morning I did wore myself out at the gym and haven't really take enough of fluids,

however they did say that I have a mild bladder infection and didn't give me anything but suggested some cranberry juice, is cranberry juice safe

with Tasigna?

Thank You Everybody

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

The vision issue was something many of us have experienced.  It is a capillary break in the back of the eye that causes blank spots in the vision due to blood flow .  I had one where I could make things disappear in the room.  I thought it was fun (for a short while).  It is not serious. 

I don't worry about eating any fruits, including grapefruit.  Cranberry is fine.  I had a Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit this morning -- yum.  The cranberry works best from concentrated pills so you can get more of it. 

#3 Dina

Dina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thank you Trey,

its so funny but every doctor so far has advised me not to take any grapefruit or grapefruit extract,

is your Dr. ok with it?>

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

The docs will follow what they are told by the drug companies, including mine.  You should do what your doc tells you.  Recent NCCN guidelines mention grapefruit juice and imply that half a glass of juice is fine. 

http://online.wsj.co...3623804707.html

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hi Dina,

There are a few fruits around which slow down the enzyme processing of the TKI out of your liver - which can make your side effects hang around a bit longer than they normally would.

Trey is on a reduced dosage of Gleevec, which means less side effects for him, plus he is a stubborn Texan (remember the Alamo) and enjoys his Ruby Red Grapefruit, so is willing to put up with additional side effects (if he gets much of it at all now).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users