Photo

Opinions on if Generic Gleevec will be Okay?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

I know The Generic Gleevec will be here soon, and I wanted opinions especially by Trey on what people think about switching to the Generic when available.  I know a lot want it due to price, but my concern is effectiveness after doing so well for so long on the Brand Name.  I have had issues in the past with Generic Vs. Name Brand, and I certainly do not want to mess up a good thing with a possible switch.

I lost Dr. Druker's e-mal address, and I was going to send him a message for his input on the topic.  Has anyone had the same question?

Susan

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Generic "Gleevec" (imatinib from a source other than Novartis -- would need to be called something else) would be the same drug, just as there are many generic "Tylenols" with the same active ingredient.  Novartis will drop the price quickly for Gleevec after Jan 2015 and make other offers to insurance companies.  But the generics will be cheaper.  There will be no difference in effectiveness.  The chemical compound is well understood.

#3 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Trey,  THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  That is wonderful!!  I have been somewhat worried, as we get these letters every December from our UAW Retiree Trust that holds our insurance assets, about the bleak outlook of our insurance, which is connected to the world economy and Medicare for some.  I am not medicare age.  With Norvartis dropping it co-pay and/or perhaps any help for Gleevec.  I think Novartis may still be helping pay for Gleevec for those who were in the first trials, not sure.  I feel if I lost my insurance, I would be forced to change to another drug, to get help from the drug makers, and I am not sure I would fit into their guidelines, and these expensive patents would probably be for the duration of my lifetime.

I have been on Gleevec 6 years and my body and mind have adapted.  It would stress me to no end... to change to another drug. 

I will never forget the first year on Hydrox for about 30 days, then onto 400 mg of Gleevec.  In and out of hospital with fever, vomiting and dangerously low counts. Had my gall bladder out a couple years later, no gall stone, it just didn't work any more. Don't know if there was any connection to the drug or CML,  Probably no one knows.

I am excited to hear that a Generic Gleevec, will have the same effectiveness, and become affordable!!!    If I were to lose my health care, no insurance is going to pick me up with CML.  Generic I would be able to afford it without mortgaging out our home and whatever assets we have. 

I try to keep an eye open to LLS discussion board and everyonce in awhile, I leap for joy! 

Thank You Lord this Christmas Season;  For the blessing of having Gleevec (6 years), and insurance that pays for it,  and still able to lead a normal life.  I have been trying to learn to re create my thoughts and focus, instead of saying I have cancer i say It feels good to say "the cancer is leaving me!!"   Just saying...

PamSouth

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

Thanks Trey;  I think everyone is looking for a break on pricing and still get the effectiveness of their drug.  I know what your saying Pam.  We are struggling really bad with paying for all of our medications.  My  husband is on a lot of things, and then when I add it to mine its horrible.  I was getting the assistance from Novartis on my co-pays which I will lose also.  I just called in my last 90 day supply to my mailorder so I could get it before the deadline.  That helps me until  March.  Your not alone with the expenses that we are all enduring right now.

We do have a lot to Thank The Lord For.  Enjoy your Christmas.

Susan

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hey Susan, you said 90 days,  I used to get 90 days then last year the UAW Trust only allowed a 30 day and now it is right down to the wire, shipped the day of or day before your last pill.  Now the doctor has to call the UAW ever Dec to say I am still in need of the drug.  Seems kinds of odd tome as she writes the prescriptions and Medco calls me every single month not only to ship but to ask me the regular question, how is your health, our you taking your meds, etc.... 

You said Gleevec will not be picking up your Co-Pay.  Mine was only $20.00 a month as my insurance has been paying the rest of it.  So were you in the Gleevec Trial where they were Novartis was paying?  Do you have insurance that pays?

Just wondering if you were going to be able to get your meds.  Wondering how other people were going to manage who did have insurance and Novartis was picking up the tab?  I don't know how it all works.  

PamSouth

#6 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

ObamaCare is scheduled to come before Gleevec goes generic so the status of TKIs under ObamaCare may be a more significant issue than generic vs brand name.

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

Chriskuo, I know there are a lot of negative things out about ObamaCare, but in truth, it is our Congress Health Care.  Congress can't agree on anything so neither side really gets what they want. It seems so odd to me we have 2 parties that are at extreme opposites, stupid. I far as I am concerned the whole dang politics is greedy, dirty.  I think some of the dirty politics would be between those in office who need to make the deals with the drug companies that force certain situation upon the most vulnerable. Which at this point I think we all would agree it would be the expense of health care.  I think there is a lot of waste, that needs fixed but knows or can fix it.  I used to get caught up in the middle of the politics, but I try not to anymore because it takes to much energy and turns families and people against each other.  I really don't think it will change as hatred and war have been from the beginning of time.  Well I am really rambling or chasing rabbit, now, got way off the subject.

I believe the subject is "when gleevec becomes generic, will it be effective, and Trey said YES!!!!

Having said that,  Gleevec becoming Generic will be competitive by other drug manufactures and most certainly will have a significate drop in price.  .

PamSouth

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hi Pam:  Yes, Novartis payed for everything well I was doing the trial in New York back in 2000, but once the FDA approved the STI-571, and it became Gleevec I had to get it through my insurance.  I do not remember how much I payed back then when we had a different insurance.  Now I have Aetna with Medco for Scripts.  I was paying $80.00 for a 90 day supply.  That is how my husbands plan works through his job, it has to be a 90 day supply.  Any short term drugs like a antibiotic we get through the local pharmacy.  It is very rough with all our other expenses even at that price.  I know others are paying way more than we are, and I am not complaining.  I just have to seek out help in different ways whenever its available.

I go through the same thing with them contacting my doctor to see if I really need it.  That infuriates me.  Don't they know what Gleevec is for, and its not like taking Advil each day.  Their pricing is bouncing all over.  I just had to get one medication for my  husband which is $126.00 for a 90 day supply, plus they are sending two more.  My bill will be $156.00, plus the following week my Gleevec comes for the $80.00.

No idea where this will all go when my husband retires or leaves this company.  After this last refill for the Gleevec which falls before the deadline of Dec. 31,  I will be paying the $80.00 again, plus they keep increasing their pricing so who knows.

Lets just have Faith to get through all this chaos with the economy etc.

#9 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

I never discuss politics, but I like what you said Pam.  I especially agree with the waste that that needs to be fixed, and there will always be something new to have a war over due to so much hatred.  After saying that,  have a good day.

Susan

#10 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

Are you saying that 2014 will not be a watershed year for US healthcare?  I don't know what the effect will be, but there will be a lot of changes in 2 years.

#11 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

Susan61

Regarding;  Lets just have Faith to get through all this chaos with the economy etc.

Praying,

Heavenly Father,   If YOU, LORD,  see a sparrow that falls to the ground; if you know the daily number of hairs that are on my head; if every snowflake that falls from heaven is uniquely designed by YOU why do I doubt that YOU have YOUR watchful and caring eye upon me for I am created in YOUR image. FORGIVE ME when I doubt YOU or feel forsaken. Instead I want to trust YOU and believe YOUR Words that assures me, "Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you." "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." "Nothing can separate me from the love of God; not tribulation or distress or persecution, famine or nakedness or peril or sword." No in all these things, we are more than conquerors through Christ who loves us.  In Jesus Name, Amen.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#12 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

CHRISKUO,

http://pwadmin.com/docs/2010_ALIRT.pdf

Lots to ponder on and lots of graphs/charts to look at on this web. 

Who know what is in the future, it is unsettling at best.

Excerpt from Web Site Above

"National healthcare reform brings both perils and promises. The perils are somewhat obvious: the potential bureaucratization of healthcare financing and delivery, which could result in operating and/or capital losses for health insurers who are not large/nimble enough to adjust to this new healthcare landscape. Ideological lines have been drawn, to some extent, plotting insurers against providers against insureds in an attempt to curtail the rapid growth of healthcare costs in this country (see Appendix A). Some reform elements seek to curb these costs at the expense of insurer profitability - the latter necessary to maintain stable private markets.

The promise, of course, is the future coverage of most of the approximately 50 million Americans who currently do not have access to health insurance (see Appendix A). Another promise is the improvement of the general health of the American population as well as of the cost and nature of

healthcare delivery and medical outcomes, all born of the necessity of finding creative solutions to the problems we face within our current healthcare system. Insurers who take up this challenge successfully will potentially find themselves with a larger population of insureds, which could result in stronger profitability and growth. Those who avoid this challenge may well find themselves in an increasingly less sanguine financial situation."

Now really I can only understand the above in layman terms.  Who knows what all that mean?  Congress has spent how many years and how many documents and pages on health care and they probably don't even know what all of it means!!

PamSouth

#13 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Amen and Amen!!!    Thanks for that prayer Pam.  I think it could help a lot of people going through something right now.  I hope it does help others.  We always need a reminder no matter what we believe or what strength we have in our beliefs to know we are not the ones in control.  Let It Go and Let God.

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users