• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

so--today i had a blood draw, i called this afternoon to ask for results, since they never call and tell me much of anything. when the nurse called me back and i asked if she could give me my results, she said she didn't have any for today. so, i explained that i had had a blood draw this morning and i was just curious about the results. she pulls them up and tells me that my platelets, which up to this time been normal, are now low.she also says that my onc is out of town until tuesday and that she'll show him the results then.

first of all, of course my first response was to check here to see if low platelets are normal--and sure enough i found that they are. i dont' remember the specific numbers, but i've called my GP to ask if there is any reason to be concerned--she can call and get hte numbers if it is important. i am mildly concerned because today my period started about 3 days early, and i have more than half a dozen bruises on my legs--none of which are from me bumping myself. one is the size of a fifty cent piece and pretty wicked looking, the rest are quarter size or smaller. all are odd looking--i was a bit worried before the blood draw and wanted to ask but again my onc is out of town.

second: venting: what the hell is the good of doing a blood draw if no one is going to bother to look at the results for almost a week? if something were actually wrong no one would even know! now perhaps if the results are unusual enough the lab would call or something--i've no idea, but regardless: why bother? why did i get up at 7am this morning and run off for a blood draw while having cramps and getting stuck twice because it's the morning i take my every other day diuretic, so i was swollen enough that the phlebotomist couldn't get blood from the regular location and instead had to take it from the back of my hand? why? what the hell is the point of that? /end vent

#2 Lisal

Lisal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

I hear you !  It should not take a week for them to give you the results of a blood draw!  

#3 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hi castlefibers. First of all I hear your frustration and I sympathize. It's exhausting enough to have CML, you shouldn't have to go to your primary doc. for answers regarding the CML, your leukemia center should be one stop shopping for your CML concerns. Second, if you post your platelet numbers I'm sure Trey and others will be able to help you. I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs.

Judy

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hi Castlefibers,

I know how you feel. CML doesn't take a vacation so why don't they just assign 1 person to make callbacks to us just to ease our mind a bit. Even on holidays they always have people there who could give you some kind of answer .Especially when you're newly diagnosed. I have had cml for 4 years and I still get bruises not like before dx. They were huge I looked like a victim of spousal abuse. So I wouldn't worry to much about that. I had a hysterectomy a long time ago so I don't have to put up with our monthly friend, but there have been several conversations on this board about a lot of different problems women are having with their periods. Boy it just had to get you right before thanksgiving, seems like it always works out that way for women. But I'm glad you got on the board and vented it sure does help to talk to people who really understand. I see you run a yarn shop. I wanted to do that for years. I have done arts and crafts all my life

now there is no place in or around Erie with a good selection of yarn. I live about 10 miles west of Erie pa and there is nothing not a decent wal-mart that sells craft items. There are several empty stores out here and I always said it would be a perfect location for a yarn store. Not craft items just yarn. I thought about contacting coates and clark about it but then I got some health problems so I couldn't take on running my own business. And Apple Barrel Craft Paint would be a huge seller.

You will be just fine,and the holidays cause us so much stress anyway,Plus being newly dx try not to overwhelm yourself. Just do what you can. And let other people worry about getting things done. If you can't get help then just say bite me and grab a bottle of wine and go to bed for a week.  Billie

#5 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

unfortunately, they did tell me the numbers, but i don't remember what they were

#6 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

unfortunately, i'm getting more scared now. i use a moon cup, so i can actually tell how much i'm bleeding during menstruation (sorry for the TMI but there you have it) and i usually don't fill a cup up overnight, but today i filled it to overflowing in just 3-4 hours. that is 30ml (the average for a whole cycle is 35-80ml) in just a few hours. that is so insane for me.

do i call my GP on her cell phone? she gave it to me and told me to call whenever if i needed to. i hate to call, but if this doesn't let up, i'm afraid i'll need a transfusion of platelets or something.

#7 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hi Castlefibers. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Did you call your GP? I  hope you were able to  enjoy your Thanksgiving, and not let CML ruin your day.

Judy

#8 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

called my gp. she said that i was bleeding quite enough for it to be actually dangerous... altho really close. and that i should just keep and eye on it. which i did. and not worry about. which i didn't. thanksgiving was lovely--friends hung out and we ate and giggled and had pie. it's nice that i can do that and not worry that this might be my last thanksgiving. (at least not anymore than anyone else might)

#9 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi,

First, and I state this with no humor intended, I had to look up what a moon cup was!  WOW, you can tell 1st it has been a long time since I had to deal with the monthly female thingy, and 2nd, I am clueless to the options available today. I can't tell you much about the numbers, even if you had them, but I can tell you recently my platelets were down below 50,000, although I did get a nice batch of the dreaded red dot rash, petechiae, and had a few extra bruises from blood draws I really didn't bruise all that much from random bumps and bangs.  High platelets and white count, then low platelets and white count as the TKI drugs do their magic, seem to be the way of CML, at least it is for me, and several others I have read about.  I do understand your frustration, although a doctor goes out of town, there should be a backup doctor for immediate problems, and/or at least a PA with some knowledge of patients.  My local oncologist heads to Florida every other month, so if something happens during his 'off' month, I work with the PA or have to make that dreaded Pittsburgh call just to reach an answering machine and hope someone will return your call the same day.  I have come to accept, usually no news is good news with blood draws, I try to have it done by 7 a.m. if they call me by 11, it is always bad news, if they wait until later or the next day, then nothing to worry about.  Your situation is perplexing, if the nurse had your chart in front of her, the recent blood work should have been there, even if it was the same day.  Mine is available within one hour from lab to oncologist/hematologist, via fax or computer.  Best of luck to you, and I hope you were able to enjoy your Thanksgiving with family and friends.  Please keep us posted, I am sure others will have more information than I can give you about your situation.

Take Care

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users