#1 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

I received my daily blood work results a short time ago.  I would appreciate deciphering.  Outside of knowing the white count must be dangerously low, I was told by oncologist office to stay away from public places and any sings of fever or chills I am to go immediately to emergency room.  So here are the results;

White count 2.89

Hematocrit 29.1

Hemoglobin 9.4

Platelets 56,000

My platelets were 46,000 on Thursday, so they have went up 10,000 in one day, it is hard for me not to just focus on this number, my concerns have been with the platelet issue to date.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Pam

#2 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hey Pam,   Your white count is a a bit low, but it can still get lower without too much concern. But, the more important number is your neutrophil count - should be listed as "neut/s" in an absolute number or a percentage. I think that number is the more important one in terms of avoiding public places etc.  With fever, that is what everyone is told in the information packs they give us. As far as I know, in the long-term it's just a precaution.  It's good that your platelets are on the way up, hopefully they can get you back on your medication soon :)  Cheers, Pin. xxx.

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#3 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi Pam,

That white count is nowhere near dangerously low.  A big proportion of the people on this site have been living perfectly happily with WBC lower than that for years whilst hanging around children and other germ factories so whoever told you to avoid public places needs a clip around the ear.  The important thing is that it looks like your platelets may have bottomed out which is great news.

Phil

#4 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

Pam,

Your white count is low, but not dangerously.  It may go lower.  Maybe not.  You will see (great fun, this waiting thing, eh?).  HGB is below avg, but if you feel OK, then no worries (if you don't already know, HGB and the HCT pertain to your RBC, not white).  And as Trey would say, some of us get a bit of anemia while on a TKI (and the Hydroxy does a doosey on it too).  Your PLT are higher, so that's a good sign, you are probably OK at 56K.  They may bounce around as blood counts do (all of them).  Trey says you can have two CBCs drawn in the same day and have different numbers.  Did you see what your ANC was (absolute neutrophil count)?  That will give you an idea how well you are able to fight bad bacteria at this time.  If it is around 1.0 or higher, not worrysome.  If lower, don't touch your face and keep your hands clean.  And they have things they can do to help keep your counts up.  But no sense putting the cart before the horse. 

Teds 

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone!  In just an hour you guys not only made me feel better, I had a few laughs to go with the feeling!  I do not know the neutrophil count, but I will be asking for it in the future.  Each step of this process is a learning experience, one thing is certain, if I had not earned these gray hairs I constantly try to hide, I sure am earning them now!

Thanks  again! (and again, again, .........)

#6 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

My onc told me that wbc 1.0 is the point where they'd tell me to avoid public places and I'd have to take a break from my medicine. At 2.8, they told me to avoid knowingly being around people who were sick and to wash my hands a lot.

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Heck that is no different than I do on a regular day.  I am a bit of a germ-a-phobe.  I can't stand touching door handles, they are by far one of the grossest things in society, public bathrooms are disgusting, even the ones that look clean, and shopping cart handles almost put me in physical distress.    I should be fine, I imagine all these little green things sliding all around the above mentioned places and can't wait to clean my hands.

hehe  germ-a-phobe might be an understatement.

#8 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

The more I know the more I know I don't know. What does it mean if your neutrophil count is high?

Judy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users