• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lisal

Lisal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Does any one know if Medicare Part D and/or Medicare Part B pays for Tasigna?  Do you know who makes the determination whether part d or part b covers the meds?  This is a question I have been asked, but I am not on Medicare so I have no idea.

Thanks,

Lisa

#2 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

I have been on Tasigna for 18 mo and started with Medicare and a HMO supplemental last Jan.  I was expecting to have to pay the $4,500. donut hole in Jan but was only charged $2,500.  I have no idea who paid the other $2,000.  Since then I only pay $5.00 per month co-pay for a 28 day supply. Since I don't know who paid the other $2,000 I won't let myself believe it will be paid every year until Jan/12.  Then I think I can relax and know what it will be until Medicare goes bankrupt.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.  When I was trying to find out before I retired I got no satisfactory answers and had great fear until Jan.

Susan

#3 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

I also only pay $4.00 for Oncologist apts. But $100 for CT scans and $20 for blood tests including PCR.

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hi Susan:  I am not on Medicare yet, and still under my husbands insurance to pay for my Gleevec.  I read about this pricing and the donut hole.  I do not know where I will be when we get to that point, which is not far off.  My husband keeps telling me he will keep working, because he would be bored if he was home and retired.  God Bless Him that he keeps going like he does.  He still has awhile before he is eligible for retirement, therefore, we should be okay unless he gets sick.

That is another important thing for people to know.  You do have to register for Medicare at 65, but if you are insured under your spouse's insurance you can refuse to let them take that extra money out of your Social Security Check for Medicare until your ready.  They do not tell you that.  A friend of mine just turned 65, and she was ready to let them start taking out for Medicare.  I made her call them, and they told her I was right. She just had to sign off on a paper that she did not need Medicare yet.  She continues to get her full Soc. Sec. Check each month.

Susan 61

#5 dmball22

dmball22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

Hi Lisa,

I am on Medicare and an HMO but I didn't have to pay anything for my Gleevec. My Oncologist told me when he diagnosed me that he didn't want me to pay for the medication. He said that the insurance might fight but to let him do what he had to do to justify them paying for it. I have NO idea why I didn't have to pay anything. The person asking the question should contact their insurance and then Medicare to find out what their eligibility is. Now I'm curious so I'm gonna call the pharmacist tomorrow and find out who covered my medication. Excellent question...

DeAnna

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users