• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

so, in  the latest list of side effects i'm going to get: bone pain. sudden sharp pain in my right lower arm mostly (also my right ankle and left arm). any suggestions on what to do?

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:00 AM

Sorry to hear it.  Had a lot of bone pain in the first month.  Try ibuprofen, 400-800 mg, whatever your stomach can tolerate.  If ibuprofen doesn't cut it, call your onc for a prescription for something like vicodin.  I was not allowed to take ibuprofen (long story), so had to rely on vicodin.  Onc also prescribed low dose prednisone, because of inflammation leading to swelling which was creating pressure in the bones.

Also found hot showers helped a bit.  I slathered Icy Hot on my arms and legs and got some relief with that as well.  Also used heat pads on affected areas.

HTH,

Traci

#3 Augustfirst2010

Augustfirst2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

Castle...just a note on painkillers (and I had to do research in medical journals to find this out, it wasn't listed on the "things to know" page that comes with Sprycel), stay away from painkillers that cause bleeding in the stomach. Sprycel acts as an anti-coagulant, and (again, not to scare anyone) some folks have died from hemorrhages in the stomach, brain, and other organs while taking S and then bleeding internally from other sources. Just FYI!

Auggie

#4 Samcerly

Samcerly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Recently I started acupuncture and it has helped tremendously!

#5 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

I was in Traci's camp and had agonizing bone pain during the first month of treatment (Gleevec in my case).  I also used Ibuprofen for a bit to get through the initial settling of treatment - I took 400mg of Ibuprofen at night when the pain flared up.  After the first month or so, it completely went away.

On a related note -- bone pain is one of the nastiest sensations I've ever felt!  So I definitely feel your pain (literally).  It should settle down soon though.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#6 bkspecialk

bkspecialk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

I have alot of bone pain. Not sure if my back injury makes it worse.  I take Vicodin everyday. I only take a 1/2 pill at a time, just enough to cut the pain to where it's not all that I am thinking about.  I have tried Ibu and it just doesn't cut it.  I am on Sprycel 100mg before that I was on Gleevec for a year. 

#7 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

I had bone pain for the first two months.  Advil helps, but I don't think you can completely escape the pain unless the doc prescribes something for it.  I only get bone pain once in a while now and it doesn't last long.  Hang in there.  Hopefully you'll get past this phase soon.

#8 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

i am holding onto the fact that while living through these side effects really sucks, the alternative is worse.

#9 Fas

Fas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

Bone pain is very difficult to manage.   once you experience it you do not forget it.  I have had it off and on with Gleevec.  I so understand what you are going through, as do many others.  Many have mentioned Painkillers, which never worked for me.  Over the years the episodes, duration and severity have lessened.   Everyone controls side effects in different ways and not everything works for everyone.  Some things that have helped me are warm, espom salt baths, using a heating pad, or ice, massage and exercise.  These are things I do proactively and over the years bone pain episodes have got more and more rare.  

Keep positive and hang in there - these things usually wax and wane.

Fas

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users