#1 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

In advance, my apologies to all males reading this, there will be a gap in understanding the one side of this fence.  I have been peri-menopausal, now in menopause (for at least a year now), and look forward to post menopause, but one thing confuses me.

All of a sudden because of the CML, I now have night sweats, instead of hot flashes.  How confusing, I can't tell the difference.  I do realize that the day hot flashes are from menopause, but the night ones confuse me horribly.  They feel the same, they have the same symptoms, but now they are no longer the menopause demon, instead they are the CML demon.  What I do know is with the mild anti-depressant I was taking, I did not have the hot flashes/night sweats, one of the reasons why I am calling oncologist at nine this morning. 

I read a post a while ago, asking when is a symptom just a symptom, instead of always being associated with CML.  I know my husband is much more forgiving of my waking to a hot flash/night sweat, throwing the covers off myself (and him) since he read the symtoms of CML.  When they were hot flashes he would be visually annoyed, I woke him from a sleep just because I was sweating a little.  (Anyone who has experienced a hot flash will explain, 'sweating a little' just doesn't cut it for description.

Because sleep is elusive, I sit and ponder the differences between hot flashes and night sweats, as of yet I am at a loss to figure out which is caused by what. 

I mentioned to someone the other day the hardest thing about CML so far was to figure out if a feeling you were experiencing was a CML related feeling, (meds included) or it was an I am almost 50 feeling.  If I did not know I had CML I would put it down to getting older, now I blame everything on CML, this way I cover all my bases.

hot flashes vs. night sweats, the debate continues.

Pam

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Don't know the answer, but I only had night sweats very, very briefly (knocking on wood right NOW) when starting Gleevec.  Then they went away.  Hopefully, they will for you, too.  I still have to hit the menopause hot flashes, so looking forward to the fun of figuring out if it is menopause, gleevec or disease progression.  Fun, fun, fun!

Traci

#3 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hey, Pam. . .I'm right there with you.  In fact, I had terrible night sweats for a couple of years, and assumed it was peri-menopause, though it seemed a little early (I was 42 or 43 at the time).  Wish I had known night sweats were a serious symptom, or I might have gone to see the doc long before I finally did.  The night sweats make me think that I had cml for about 3 years before being diagnosed.

Once I got started on Gleevec, the night sweats stopped, but in the past 2+ years since diagnosis, I do have occassional night sweats, though nothing like before, where the sheets would be drenched and I'd wake up in a puddle (no lie).  LIke you, I don't know if it's the cml or the age (I'm 47 now).  Very frustrating!!  Let me know if you find anything out.  This particular stage of life sure has its annoyances!!

Marnie

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

When I was taking dance classes a year or two ago, I would break out in a sweat about 5 minutes into the class. I thought I must be pre menopausal, turned out it was the anemia from the CML causing it. LOL

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hi Marnie,

You know I too have had problems with hot flashes at night for the past couple years.  The only thing that is odd is, they did dissipate quite a bit on the effexor.  I now am wondering, like you, if what was left was a symptom of the CML. I have been doctoring for a few different ailments that also have the same symptoms as CML, so who really knows.  The only thing I do know is in January my platelets were 400,000, just a bit over what they should be, of course now I am the enigma, walking around with triple+ that number.  (And the truth although Sprycel seems to be 'the med', it does cause something akin to railroad spikes being driven in your head the first days, and then the pain is slowly reduced to paneling nails, current).

I turned 49 a short time ago, so we are in the same age range, sounds like we suffer from some of the same symptoms also.  I can relate to your puddle, I have been forced to change sheets, shower and grab clean clothes in the middle of the night because of those disgusting sweats/flashes.

I will let you know if I find any answers, but until then we will have to live with our questions (and annoyances)   One wonders if even the professional would have an opinion, being a female with CML, we were destined to suffer from this malady.

Pam

#6 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

I had night sweats before I was diagnosed and thought it was hormones, but they completely stopped after I started Tasigna.  Since the weather has gotten cool this fall, my dh has been complaining that I'm not producing the heat that I did last winter and can we stop the Tasigna for a couple months?

So if I started night sweats again, I'd assume it's hormones.  I'm 47.

Elizabeth

#7 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Go figure...diganosed with WBC 180,000 and I never had night sweats, ever.  I had to wait for my spleen to swell up...  Anyway, I can imagine how confusing this must be.  Lately I have been experincing "night freezes".  I wake up so freezing cold I cannot sleep.  It takes a long time to get warm again.  It is kind of agonizing in a way.  My kids sleep with me and they are always sweating!  I have never had this before and my HGB is close to normal (so prob. not anemia).  Has anyone had this?  Is this a pre-cursor to menopause?  It would be little early, but I heard that TKIs and chemo can bring on early menopause. I suspect that our drugs also screw with our hormones.  Well, everyone is different and this may be my time to change!  I had a test about 6 months ago that showed I was still pre-menopausal, but we all know how life can change in an eyeblink.

All the best,

Teds

#8 SB3

SB3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, the night sweats are really annoying. It's almost like I have a fever -- although I know I don't -- one minute I'm cold and the next I'm kicking off the covers because I'm burning up. I'm 49 too, so who knew earlier that this was a symptom of CML? I figured I was starting menopause. The most annoying part is how much it interferes with getting a good night's sleep!

#9 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

That sounds just like me, one moment I am so hot I can't stand it, and five minutes later I am grabbing the covers I just threw of the bed.   Fairly annoying because it happens several times a night, if it were not for the Ambien, I would be a zombie throughout the day.  I still think not all of that is because of CML, I have talked to several woman who do not have CML and they suffer from horrid hot flashes.  I spoke with one woman a while back, she was in her 80's and she said, "Honey, hate to tell you  this, but I still get them!"  I just had to frown, she laughed and said it was something to look forward too.  Now, I have a different perspective, I want to be in my 80's and have hot flashes, it will mean I have lived successfully with CML for over 30 years!

#10 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Some of the guys at work talk about their wives going from feeling like little furnaces to being cold and pulling the blankets on again - menopause.

#11 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Menopause Sucks!  but then again, so does CML. 

#12 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi All,

Between puberty,pms,mood swings,crying jags because we broke a fingernail,peri-menopause,menopause,post menopause,hot flashes,then freezing,and Cml,they took our hormones away from us,sore boobs,cramps. I figure there are only 2 days in our lives that hormones don't plague us the day we come into this world and the day we leave it. And the Doctors say it's all in our minds.

#13 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Billie,

That was so profound I honestly don't think I have anything add.

Pam

#14 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hi Pam,

How are you feeling today? Can you feel those platelets just draining out of your body? Do you get bw Monday?  Did you go on 140mg yet?  We should start a pool to see who thinks when you're going to go below 500,000 platelets. Winner has to tell us about the happiest day of thier life, loser has to tell the most embarrassing moment of thier life. Treys not allowed he's to smart. I'll start I say next Thursday. Oh yeah there can be more than one winner in each category.  Billie

#15 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

HI Billie,

I begin the 140 Sprycel tomorrow at 5 p.m., semi railroad spikes should begin by ten.  I am challenging this ridiculously annoying disease, I painted ceilings and walls at the new house yetsterday.  Have to get rid of their dirt, want to live in my own.  Bets on platelet counts would be a great idea, we need to start a new thread.  I am not thinking proactive, when I hear tomorrow, I am asuming the platelets are still annoyingly high, so this way perhaps I can be pleasantly surprised.  Make sure Trey knows he isn't allowed to guess, he would take away everyone elses chances of winning.  I am off to defy once again this disease and paint more ceilings and walls.  Of course I couldn't do it the easy way, instead I had to make it interesting by applying texture paint in a design first, then after that dries for 24 hours, I have to paint the color.  glutton for punishment

Have a great day!

#16 dee145

dee145

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

I was told a few months ago i was in full blown menopause, 6 months prior I was tested and nothing.  Then I had to have partial hysterectomy the day after Labor Day so I am a mess.  I was always crying and still do and everyone says depression, but then I can bite your head off the next min.  I have a hot flash every so often but then I am freezing but no bad night sweats yet.  Gyno. said I will probaly get them too just not here yet.  I am on a anti-depressant mostly to control migraines which have returned more often now.  I am tearing up just writing this, isn't that so stupid?  Plus my anxiety attacks which I have decided to use the xanax even if they are addicting.  I have seen a therapist and psychriatrist and both talk to me but no more than my family dr.  Just cost more.  My family dr is a female and she will stay in the room for a hour if i need her too.  She has cried with me.  I asked my onc. how long it will last and his reply was 'my wife's seemed to last for years and i was walking on egg shells all the time'.   He said she was bad with mood swings and so am I.  I am still PCRU but can't stop thinking every time I go for blood work it's going to be bad.  I don't sit and dwell on it but it's always there in back of my head and something little can trigger it.  I have lost so many friends since I was diagnosed in 2009, guess they weren't friends after all.  I have a couple good ones but they work so if I get down I have no one to call.  My legs hurt all the time so I can't find a job I can do.  I was a school secretary part time and i think i could do that but i was replaced of course.  Got turned down for disability cuz my husband makes to much money and some other kind I didn't have enough credits for.  I was always a stay at home mom, get involved with school activities person.  My kids were teenagers and we took a baby in from a 15 yr old girl and I started all over but no one in her family wanted him so we have custody of him.  He is now a wonderful 16 yr old young man and in the band at school and I can't even go to his games and compititions when it gets cold cuz I hurt to bad.  I live in PA and we got snow yesterday already and I hate cold weather and snow.  I could hibernate all winter and I think it's going to be a bad one.  Snow before Halloween, something not right with that picture.  Enough of me venting so between CML, Gleevec and menopause It all SUCKS!!!!!!

Dee

#17 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

I went through menopause in my 30's due to surgery. I had hot flashes for about 7 yrs. then they were gone. Now zoom up to 2008, (before my CML diagnosis in 2009) I started having night sweats but did not know what was going on. For me, there was a difference. I could usually tell when a hot flash was on it's way, I would get a little anxious feeling prior, or sometimes a whooshing feeling (like on a roller coaster but much milder Lol). Then it was instant furnace heat, that's when you throw your clothes off and run outside in the snow, just kidding!!!!! The night sweats for me, were more sneaky, I would be sleeping and wake up for some unknown reason and I would find myself drenched in sweat. Hair soaking wet, damp clothes etc. Since I went through these two delightful stages at two different times I can look back and see the difference. Of course, everyone is different, but I wanted to share my experience.

Happy Halloween!

#18 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi Dee,

Menopause should be a four letter word.  I have never been prone to tears, but since beginning the peri-menopausal road I cry at commercials.  Then I get angry at myself because I cry at commercials, this is worse than being pregnant, at least then others understood your mood swings.  I was almost totally free of night sweats when I was permitted to take the Effexor, but since they pulled that from me, they are back with a vengeance, I wake feeling so incredibly hot you wake from a deep sleep, throw off the covers, only to be chilled several minutes later.  Just when you go back to sleep, the entire crappy cycle begins again!  Just plain sucks.  Now I guess I am knee deep in menopause, oh I feel so lucky!

I wanted to talk to you about the Xanax, yes it has a bad reputation, and yes it is addictive, but it is also a very good drug if used in moderation.  I have a prescription allowing me to take up to four, 1mg tablets a day, it is from February 2010.  I think I still have about 17 so pills left, for me I see no reason to take that many everyday, and I don't but there are times when I use the four a day, it helps me get through without falling apart. Especially this past week, I think I almost ordered the oncologist to give them back to me, stating I have been on them for many years and have not abused them yet, right now ( especially) I am not interested in someone telling me I might abuse a drug, even if it is a doctor.  As long as you are careful, please take the Xanax, once things calm down a bit, you might find you only take a half a pill, many days I do that, instead of the whole pill.  They are only 1mg so half is a really low dose.  I am glad your family dr has a good bed-side manner, that is important, and as to your oncologist saying his wife's menopause lasted forever, it probably seemed like that to him, but he has no idea, all he remembers is his wife was in tears one moment and the next she was trying to rip off the fridge door.  He hasn't a clue how long it really was. 

Last Sunday before the Xanax was reinstated, I thought my family would never speak to me again.  I was either screaming at them for breathing, or crying because I didn't have the energy to make dinner and do laundry.  This past week has been better, but I admit to continued serious case of nerves because I again go for bloodwork tomorrow morning, and if the platelets somehow went up (with all the foreign meds in me) I am off to hospital in Pittsburgh to filter the blood out of some over zealous platelets. I put my entire family on hold Friday, husband went into work three hours early and I kept my son home from school, thinking the trip was going to happen, it didn't, so tomorrow, I am going to send everyone where they need to be, and if I have to go, then I will make needed plans. 

Just because I was curious, I also looked into SSI, and unless I divorce my husband, I am not eligible, same as you, he makes too much money.  I lost my job in May to downsizing, and although I have had some interviews, only one call came through, believe it or not was at a flower shop, and I have to turn it down, is only a few days a week, but right now if I had to make baskets and arrangements for certain sad occasions, I don't think I would do much more than bawl the entire time.  Oh, don't you just love the emotions running rampage!  I am a bit of a control freak, (Ok Billie, I know you will have a comment about that) so not having control over my emotions drives  me crazy, as if I needed any help.

I swear I am going to buy a grow light, I despise fall and winter.  I am a green person, (besides the blood) and when the trees are green, my flowers are blooming, and can sit on the porch and enjoy a custom made margarita, I am in my glory.  I hate winter clothes, I hate winter coats, I hate shoveling snow, and I hate winter boots.  I am a flip flop person, a true parrothead, Jimmy Buffett is my hero, I try to wear them in the winter to go outside with the dogs, but then my toes turn blue and my husband says he will not visit me in the hospital if they have to cut them off from frostbite.  I don't want to ride snowmobiles, I like my four wheelers and dirt bikes riding in the woods finding the biggest rain puddle I can and get soaked and muddy, it just isn't fun when you have to wear so many clothes you can't move your arms to hold the handlebars.

How wonderful you have the love for another child, especially one that would have been put through the system without your caring.  My son is autistic, high functioning, and he plays in the high school band.  This past Friday I missed his first performance since beginning, because my white count may bottom out on this high power cocktail (from Trey, just the high power cocktail comment) I am to stay away from crowds and try to keep as germ free as possible until I begin to regulate concerning  bloodwork numbers.  I can't say I know exactly how you feel, but I can relate to your depression, and you are right, it sucks.  I can tell you, even though you are not there, the young man knows you love him and would be if it were possible, there is something to be said for, 'Being there is spirit.'

As a fellow Pennsylvanian, I also believe this is going to be a crap of a winter, and although I am not sure where you are from, I had about two inches of slushy snow on my porch I had to wade through yesterday.  Yeah, it all melted, but geez, is it depressing!  (and still cold)

Hang in there and vent all you want, I know last week I just 'knew' my platelets were down, then I get a call saying they went up 300,000 although I am on Sprycel and Hydrea, I agree, CML, Meds, and menopause  sucks, but to add to the list, so does bloodwork/waiting on results, and cold weather! 

This morning my mother in law was excited because it was going to be 50 degrees this week,  somehow I just could not share her enthusiasm, if I can't wear my flip flops without my toes turning blue, it is too darn cold!

Take care, I hope you find a few reasons to smile.

Pam

#19 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

OH NO!  You aren't supposed to throw your clothes off and run out in the cold when having a hot flash? No wonder my neighbors are always looking at me strangely.

#20 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

Don't worry, they'll get used to it, mine did

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users